Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we first got her, the people we got her from told us she was a maltese. Recently, I started doing a bit more research on this breed and I read that they normally only exist in white or with patches of brown.

Lucky is black and white. She looks like a maltese. Could she possibly be a mix?
Here she is! Don't mind me, haha.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wish I were more of an expert -- from what I know, she would have to be a mix, I don't think purebred maltese can have black spots? But I will tell you that for what it's worth (not much I'm sure) I was humming to myself and stopped to say out loud, to no one, "oh my goodness she's so cute" when I saw those pictures.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I were more of an expert -- from what I know, she would have to be a mix, I don't think purebred maltese can have black spots? But I will tell you that for what it's worth (not much I'm sure) I was humming to myself and stopped to say out loud, to no one, "oh my goodness she's so cute" when I saw those pictures.
Aw, thank you so much! She's the light of my day, haha.
Maltese or not makes no difference to me, I was just curious because I wanted to match up her personality traits with the ones generalized by the Maltese breed. :)
Thanks for your answer!

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
What ever breed she is, she is one adorable little girl!!! And yes, I too think that she looks as though she is part Maltese and Shih Tzu. I especially love the middle picture of her!! Good luck with her.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
She's adorable! Welcome to Spoiled Maltese. Remember, your fluff doesn't have to be a Maltese to be a part of our group. There is so much to learn here and you'll make many friends. Tell us more about Lucky!

·
Premium Member
20,028 Posts
Maltese only come in white. But I Love the coloring on your pup! She is super cute! Congratulations :aktion033:

·
Super Moderator
9,637 Posts
The hair around the face has a maltese-like lay, the tail look maltese. You can definitely see the shih-tzu in her face (eyes and nose and mouth), but the coloring patters looks very havanese to me. She looks adornable.

·
Premium Member
10,616 Posts
She is very very cute. Her mommy was probably a Malt and her daddy was ???? How big is she? I think she looks very much like a Havanese.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I am of the totally non expert opinion that she is havanese and maltese. That face is far too cute to have any trace of shih tzu. ;)

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Looks to me like she is part Maltese & part Shih Tzu.
I agree. She is absolutely adorable! Looks like my Penny in a miniature package!

I am of the totally non expert opinion that she is havanese and maltese. That face is far too cute to have any trace of shih tzu. ;)
I think shih tzu are PRECIOUS :wub: My mom has one and she has a beautiful face.

·
Super Moderator
9,637 Posts
Havanese are great dogs also. When I was looking for a dog two years ago, it was between an havanese and Lucky. Warning: all three breeds can have barking issues.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Welcome!!! Your pup is a cutie and I know you love her in any case :). But since you asked, she is definitely not a purebred Maltese, but could be mixed Maltese + shih tzu or havanese (my informal guess). Maltese have a single coat of white hair (they have no undercoat). The "brown" spots you mentioned are a very very light beige sometimes called "lemon" and is most prominent in the puppy stage on the ears and usually fade closer to white.

Whatever the case, your pup is cute! I hope you stick around and learn lots!

·
Registered
351 Posts
When we first got her, the people we got her from told us she was a maltese. Recently, I started doing a bit more research on this breed and I read that they normally only exist in white or with patches of brown.

Lucky is black and white. She looks like a maltese. Could she possibly be a mix?
Here she is! Don't mind me, haha.
Welcome to SM! Your baby reminds me of my Minnie:D! Although Lucy isn't a pure maltese .. she might have some maltese in her :) Minnie is a maltese shihtzu mix.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
Honestly, I haven't always been a huge shih tzu fan but I have to say that I love them now. The shih tzu we have at our house now is DARLING and makes us laugh on a daily basis. I love her smooshie face :wub:

To the OP, your precious girl is a mix but has many maltese-looking traits. She is adorable! I can see the cross either being havanese or shih tzu - how big is she?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts