Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a little upset with our vet of 7 years.
Last week Sassi developed a quarter sized lump on her Right side, just behind her Right front leg, on her rib cage. The lump was soft when I first noticed it. Then, a couple of days later it grew to silver dollar size and it was hard.
We took her to the vet and she and the other vet looked at Sassi. We left her there because they were so busy and they would let us know what they determined.
Well, about 3 hours later we recieved a call from the vet who checked her and she said it appeared that Sassi had bumped her side, causing a hematoma, and they drained off 3cc of bloody fluid. They wanted her started on antibiotics (?), and to bring her back if it grew anymore and they would have to put her to sleep and place a drain in the lump !!!
We picked her up and she still had about 3/4 of the hardened lump on her side.
Question: Why didn't the vet drain the hematoma completely when she was in there the first time?
Does any of this make sense? Or am I just being too picky?
Please let me know what you would do. Should I just take her to another vet? I'm just not sure they completed what they started as they were VERY busy that day.
I really upset with the 'procedure' they didn't finish.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I suggest talking to your vet first. Did you talk to your vet and ask if it is common procedure to only partially drain, and explain why? If you are not satisfied with the answer, then I would seek out another vet for a second opinion.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Most hematomas, other than on the ear, we don't drain completely. Once we know what it is either a drain is surgically put in or we warm compress (it is not uncommon for males dogs to develop a hematoma in their scrotal sac after a neuter and warm compresses are the ideal treatment). If there is a cyst of mass under what they took out, a needle aspirate can be done or it can be excised and biopsies. I would call the vet and talk to them about your concerns.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts