Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... I went to the vet today to get a record of Milo's shots to take with me to puppy school tomorrow, and found out that there was some mix up and 3 weeks ago they were supposed to call me to let me know that Milo has worms! and that I needed to come in and pick up a prescription... 3 Weeks!!!

I'm totally freaking out. I don't even know how he got worms, because before that visit to the vet, he hadn't even been outside. Apparently he has a tapeworm, and we're to give him his meds as prescribed and take him back to the vet in 3 more weeks.

There's no worms that I can see in his poop, and he doesn't seem to be over eating, or scratching his bum. But 3 weeks seems like a really long time with nothing being done. Who knows how long he had it before that visit to the vet. Is this something that I need to be freaked out about? I'm really worried about my little guy.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Well, I assume you got the medicine when you were there. I'd check with the vet and tell him what happened and see what he says. Also, maybe the vet can see what went wrong at his office that you didn't get notified. How old is Milo? Could it perhaps be that he had the worms when you got him from the breeder?

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
with tapeworms u dont really see the worms in the poop...u see "egg packets" that look like sesame seeds or grains of rice. dogs get tapeworms from eating fleas. u might not see fleas on ur pup but it only takes one that they eat up before u see it. it is pretty bad that ur vet didnt call. wont harm ur pup, but its bad PR for the clinic.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Milo will be 16 weeks on Tuesday. They say it's a tapeworm. It is possible that he had the worms when we got him. The breeder did say that he had a revolution before we got him.

The vet apologized profusely and even gave me the prescription for free. Their records showed that they did call me and they even showed that I picked up the prescription! I don't know what happened but someone messed up big time. I'm seriously considering changing vets.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Apr 15 2005, 05:17 PM
That's pretty bad for the vet clinic. What if it would have been a life treatening situation ?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53098
[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it... that's why I'm so freaked.... I have no idea how serious this can be.... all I've done since I got home is research it to death. I'm so angry at the vet, especially because they don't seem all that bothered by the screw up.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Puddles had tapeworms when he was younger. He woke up one morning vomiting and diarrhea. He had just been for a check up and all was good.

The vet gave me Dorntal Plus Tablets 1.25 (22.7 mg) and said they would take care of them. I didn't know if it did or not, but hes not had any more problems. When checking out an employee whispered to me that she gave her dog this pill every 6 months and that way you don't have to worry about worms again. Anyone ever heard of this pill?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by puppylucy@Apr 15 2005, 05:52 PM
omg, your vet sounds a little 
i'd say, get a new vet and fast. soo glad that milo's ok and it wasnt something too serious..
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53119
[/QUOTE]

Thanks
... me too.

We are looking into new a new vet. I'm concerned that he may not have been diagnosed properly... I mean who knows right? If they can mess up on something as simple as not calling me.. who knows what else they're messing up on. We're calling a new vet tomorrow, we'll see what they have to say. Maybe they'll be familiar with the vet that messed up and know what kind of reputation they have.

The medication they gave us is called Safe Gaurd 10%.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
both of those meds are good medications. the safegaurd will take care of other parasites too

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Apr 15 2005, 09:19 PM
both of those meds are good medications.  the safegaurd will take care of other parasites too

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53144
[/QUOTE]

I order the Drontal Plus from a foreign company. My friends and I share a bottle of 50, and I do give it two to three times a year. I was not aware that the Safeguard would take care of the tapeworms.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My vet checked for worms and parasites as soon as I brought her in, they told me that most puppies get worms from their mothers.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Abbey had tapeworms when we brought her home. When I took her to get her shots they tested her stool and she not only had tapeworms but also coccidia! They gave her a pill in the vets office and by the next day the tapeworms were dead and in her morning's stool. You will definately see them then! If you think he might have been misdiagnosed, you could always take another stool sample and have it tested again. Although I don't think giving him that pill would hurt anything!

Also, make sure you wash your hands very good after holding Milo. I also washed everything up after Abbey was rid of them - bed, bowls, crate. I have children so I really wanted to be careful! If you have other animals with Milo you might want to get them tested too.

Good Luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts