Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone! Sorry for the loooong post, but I really need your help and advice with Bailey…since he’s not a Maltese, I’m posting this in the “Anything Goes” section. Hope that’s okay. I am so worried about him, I thought I would “talk” to you guys about it and get your input. Yesterday afternoon, I noticed that Bailey was acting a little different, not his normal, perky self at all. We had lots of guests over yesterday and usually Bailey is excited to meet everyone and is running around from person to person with his tail wagging. Well, this time he was kind of lethargic and just wanted to be held by me and sleep in my lap – everyone was commenting on how sleepy and tired he looked and I was thinking that this was NOT normal for him at all. He did have his moments when he was playing and being social but not even close to how energetic he normally is. At one point, he was laying down next to me while I was eating, and he didn’t even try to sniff at my plate or beg for food (which he ALWAYS does). He did eat his breakfast and dinner and go outside to potty, even played with the neighbors dogs a little bit. But the thing that worried me the most was that, at bed time, he didn’t want to sleep in the bed with me like he always does…instead he went to sleep on the couch. And he wasn’t following me in and out of rooms like normal either. That is just so unlike him. I am just worried sick and couldn’t even sleep last night because I was so afraid something was wrong with him. I am a first time dog owner, so this is all new to me – I’m not sure what is normal or what is cause for concern.

The rest of my family thinks he is okay since he is eating fine and playing a little, but a mother just knows!!! Something is a bit off. The only thing I can think of that was “different” in the last couple of days is that I got him Stella and Chewy’s freeze-dried raw beef patties (he had one for dinner Saturday night and one for breakfast yesterday, mixed with a little of his dry food). Saturday night we went for a 30 minute walk in the evening but it wasn’t hot and he didn’t seem too tired after it (although I think he may have eaten a bit of rabbit poop…ARGH! :w00t:). And also, I left him with my sister for an hour yesterday morning (Sunday) and she left him unattended in the living room for a little while (not in his pen!:angry:) so I’m afraid maybe he got in to something…? AHHH I am going crazy trying to figure out what could be wrong! :smilie_tischkante:

The first few months after I got Bailey, I took him to the vet for every little thing (like one little cough or sneeze) and they would run all kinds of tests and even though they wouldn’t find anything, they would put him on various meds. I’m sure I’m known at the vet’s office as the crazy paranoid lady. I currently go to a Banfield clinic and I feel like they go way overboard with random tests and meds (and I don’t know enough about this to challenge them). Now I’m a little cautious about running to the vet about everything if I don’t need to because I don’t want to put him through a battery of tests and meds if he doesn’t need it. BUT the tricky part is figuring out when he does need to go to the vet…and when I should wait and see. So please help me!! Should I wait a day or so to see if he feels better, or does it sound like something urgent that I should rush him in for? I know it’s hard to say for sure...but any thoughts/advice would be appreciated! Thanks so much!!!

·
Premium Member
17,463 Posts
Did you check his temp? That might show infection. Has he vomited or had a loose stool? Is he drinking? How old is he? Just ??? that might help figure out things.
stay tuned on how he does!

·
Registered
308 Posts
I can't say for sure because I'm not a vet, but I currently have 11 dogs that I care for.. When one of the fosters come in I try to find out what they have been fed before coming to me.. I do this so I can SLOWLY transfer them over to the raw diet I feed.. It may be that you rushed it a little with the new food.. Does that sound right to you? I usually give a very small amount of the raw food and much more or the old food, increasing the new and decreasing the old over a period of about 10 days.. This helps prevent a tummy ache .. I would just watch him..He may throw up or have runny stools..Or it may just be a tummy ache.. If things get any worse I would see a vet though just to be sure..I hope this food transfer is all that it is..Baily is a cute little one..Is he Bichon? Good luck with this, and please let us know how it goes..Also, for now I would put him back on his old food for a few days until he hopefully feels better..
Jayne

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't checked his temp...is there a special doggie thermometer I should buy? He has not thrown up and no loose stool either (although his poop is smaller, but I read somewhere that this is normal on raw so I thought his new Stella and Chewys caused that). He is 10 months old.

·
Premium Member
17,463 Posts
I use one of the infant thermometers (wider & more stable)---be sure & put some glide or petroleum jelly on the end.
It sounds like you have changed foods recently? That could be the culprit. I agree w/putting him back on his old food and see what happens.
Wishing all the best!

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your responses. I havent figured out how to quote so I hope my replies to your questions are making sense.

Jayne, you're probably right about the food transition. The guy at my holistic pet store said raw is easier to transition to so I thought giving Bailey one S&C patty at a time would be okay. I figured if it didnt agree with him, he would just have loose stools...but he hasn't. I'll go back to his old food for now and hopefully that will help. Is it normal for an upset tummy to affect them in this way...being lethargic, etc?

And thanks for your compliments on Bailey...he is a poodle mix, although I'm not sure with what. My guess is that he has a little Bichon in him.

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Hi i have a baby's thermometer and use it with the petroleum jelly ..I hope Bailey is feeling better.Better be safe than sorry so if you feel like Bailey is not acting normal than i would go with your own feelings..Kathy

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I can't say for sure because I'm not a vet, but I currently have 11 dogs that I care for.. When one of the fosters come in I try to find out what they have been fed before coming to me.. I do this so I can SLOWLY transfer them over to the raw diet I feed.. It may be that you rushed it a little with the new food.. Does that sound right to you? I usually give a very small amount of the raw food and much more or the old food, increasing the new and decreasing the old over a period of about 10 days.. This helps prevent a tummy ache .. I would just watch him..He may throw up or have runny stools..Or it may just be a tummy ache.. If things get any worse I would see a vet though just to be sure..I hope this food transfer is all that it is..Baily is a cute little one..Is he Bichon? Good luck with this, and please let us know how it goes..Also, for now I would put him back on his old food for a few days until he hopefully feels better..
Jayne

Thanks for your responses. I havent figured out how to quote so I hope my replies to your questions are making sense.

Jayne, you're probably right about the food transition. The guy at my holistic pet store said raw is easier to transition to so I thought giving Bailey one S&C patty at a time would be okay. I figured if it didnt agree with him, he would just have loose stools...but he hasn't. I'll go back to his old food for now and hopefully that will help. Is it normal for an upset tummy to affect them in this way...being lethargic, etc?

And thanks for your compliments on Bailey...he is a poodle mix, although I'm not sure with what. My guess is that he has a little Bichon in him.
That's what I'm thinking too - upset digestive tract from too fast a food transition... if not better in a couple of days, I would take him for a check up at the vet just in case there was something wrong with the raw food

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone! I feel just awful...I can't believe III made him feel like that :( It's such a horrible feeling knowing that Bailey is sick because of my stupidity. The S&C patties are so small, I figured it would be similar to mixing canned food in to his kibble like I do everyday (I switch up brands day to day). Guess not. I'll go back to his old food and try the S&C again later on when things are back to normal. I really hope it's just the food! Thanks again for your kind words and advice.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
He's such a cutie pie,he's still part of the Maltese family so no worries,I'd post this in Maltese health. Sounds like a faast food transition. I hope the little guy will be on the mend soon..always go w/ your gut,better to be over cautious than sorry later.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you Suzan and Michelle!

I was contemplating being on the safe side and taking him in to the vet or at least speak with the vet on the phone. That is until it took me 4 attempts to get through, and the receptionist said she would have the vet call me back. Um nope, all I got was the receptionist calling me back to tell me to drop Bailey off for the day tomorrow so they could run all the tests. Um, don't you want to hear what his symptoms are first...? I am so wary of doing drop-offs anymore...when I first got Bailey and was slowly transitioning him to Innova puppy food (very gradually, over two weeks), something wasn't agreeing with him and he had some loose, bloody stools. Of course I saw the blood, freaked out and called the vet's office...they had me do the drop off, and even though I told them about the food situation, they ran $250 worth of tests. They found nothing and told me it was probably the food...but still sent him home with 3 different medicines including Panacur (um, he had no worms...). And in all of this, I never even got to speak with the vet......I am really so frustrated with Banfield and wish I hadn't signed up for their Wellness plan but now I'm stuck (seemed like a good idea at the time). I really feel like I don't have a vet I can trust and every time I have a question or concern, I will just be told to "drop him off" so he can go through tests that probably weren't even necessary. I really wish I was much more knowledgeable in doggie care...honestly, if I hadn't found SM, I really would have been lost!!!

Sorry for the rant...I just really needed to vent :) Thanks for your support, I'll keep you all updated.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Please don't beat yourself up about the food issue. It's kind of common if a dog likes a new food to want to give him more than just a little since they seem so happy. You kind of have to restrain yourself with small tries of new things and gradually increase. I'm not a big raw fan but other people are.
I hope that Bailey feels better. Maybe it isn't anything since he's pooping fine. Did you get a thermometer yet? I would hate to see him go thru a lot of tests and a day at the vets if he didn't have to. Why don't you see how he is tonight and tomorrow morning.
Hoping sweet, beautiful Bailey feels better. Keep us posted. :grouphug:

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I really don't recommend Banfield. In NOVA, here are some good vets
Alexandria: Belle Haven Animal Medical Centre (Dr, Katz or Dr. Kasprenski)
Arlington: Caring Hands, Northside Vet Clinic
Centreville: Caring Hands
Fairfax: Alpha Animal Hospital

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the kind words, Susan :)

Jackie, thanks for the recommendations! Do you know of anything in the Ashburn/Leesburg area by any chance?

Suzan, I am desperately trying to get out of the Wellness Plan asap and find a different vet. I stupidly signed up for this plan as it sounded like a good idea at the time. But now, I'm stuck as they don't let you cancel in the middle of the plan year unless you pay hefty fees. AND I have called the cancellation number about 5 times and been on hold for 30 PLUS minutes each time without getting a rep to speak to. I AM SO FRUSTRATED!!!

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, Susan :)

Jackie, thanks for the recommendations! Do you know of anything in the Ashburn/Leesburg area by any chance?

Suzan, I am desperately trying to get out of the Wellness Plan asap and find a different vet. I stupidly signed up for this plan as it sounded like a good idea at the time. But now, I'm stuck as they don't let you cancel in the middle of the plan year unless you pay hefty fees. AND I have called the cancellation number about 5 times and been on hold for 30 PLUS minutes each time without getting a rep to speak to. I AM SO FRUSTRATED!!!

Sorry for your frustration. I hope that you find a good resolution.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thank you Suzan and Michelle!

I was contemplating being on the safe side and taking him in to the vet or at least speak with the vet on the phone. That is until it took me 4 attempts to get through, and the receptionist said she would have the vet call me back. Um nope, all I got was the receptionist calling me back to tell me to drop Bailey off for the day tomorrow so they could run all the tests. Um, don't you want to hear what his symptoms are first...? I am so wary of doing drop-offs anymore...when I first got Bailey and was slowly transitioning him to Innova puppy food (very gradually, over two weeks), something wasn't agreeing with him and he had some loose, bloody stools. Of course I saw the blood, freaked out and called the vet's office...they had me do the drop off, and even though I told them about the food situation, they ran $250 worth of tests. They found nothing and told me it was probably the food...but still sent him home with 3 different medicines including Panacur (um, he had no worms...). And in all of this, I never even got to speak with the vet......I am really so frustrated with Banfield and wish I hadn't signed up for their Wellness plan but now I'm stuck (seemed like a good idea at the time). I really feel like I don't have a vet I can trust and every time I have a question or concern, I will just be told to "drop him off" so he can go through tests that probably weren't even necessary. I really wish I was much more knowledgeable in doggie care...honestly, if I hadn't found SM, I really would have been lost!!!

Sorry for the rant...I just really needed to vent :) Thanks for your support, I'll keep you all updated.
This is how I feel about the Banfield...:smpullhair: Please find yourself another vet.. I don't know what you pay for your program, nor how it works, but if I can't even talk to my vet, on my terms, then he isn't my vet.. Let's put it this way, I don't work for them, they work for me, and they are paid very well by me..Therefore if they do a shoddy job, I can FIRE them.. This vet isn't worth what ever you are paying, if what you say is accurate, and I have no reason what so ever to think otherwise.. Run, don't walk, to another doctor for your sweet little Baily.
In answer to your question earlier if his behavior is consistant to an upset tummy.. Yes, it's just like when you or I feel punky..We just don't want to do that much.. We just want to take it easy.. Same with a dog I think..
How is he doing now?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts