Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know, Charlie had her spay Friday. She was very sore coming home and even with pain medication, in some pain.

The next day she ate some food, but would drink no water. She has been licking some ice cubes though. She would insist on sitting on me, and normally she isn't a cuddler. She has been sleeping all day, no playfulness. She was breathing quickly, almost panting. I took her back into the vet and they said it was a reaction to her medicine, so not to worry.

We are now onto day 3 of her post-op and she still just lays around, on me or a pillow. She isn't breathing hard anymore. She was eating a good amount of wet food each day, but she isn't showing much interest in food now, and although I did get her to drink once, she will scoot away if I bring any water over.

She has been going to the bathroom regularly. All this just makes me nervous! I've read about how many of your babies were active after their spays and you had to keep them still. I am just wondering how long to expect this lathargeic behavior from her. It is so sad...

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Was it just a straight spay or where they other things that where done. Like flushing tears, removing teeth.
Is she normally very active? It could be the medication making her tired. I think if she is eating and going to the bathroom. She sounds to be doing ok. So long as she is having some water even the ice cubs are a good thing. Maybe put a few ice cubes with a tiny bit of water and see if she will drink that. Maybe she wants the water very cold. The medication could be making her drowsy. Chelsey was fine when I brought her home the next day... he was all happy but of course could not move around, but she was in pain 2 hours after being home, so I got her some medication from the vet. She would try to move around and then notice she could not do much. , she did sleep a lot over the week end. She was doing much better after 4 -5 days. By the 2nd week she seemed back to normal but I still did not let her go up or down any stairs. She drank a lot but was not suppose to but the vet said it was because of the anesthesia, it made her thirsty. Maybe you could call the vet and ask them if the medication makes her sleepy and share your concerns with them. Also when you feed her do it in stages small amounts like when she was a tiny puppy.

If she is still not drinking any water then definitely call your vet. Don’t be afraid to call your vet they are there to help.
I hope your puppy starts to feel betters soon. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was it just a straight spay or where they other things that where done. Like flushing tears, removing teeth.
Is she normally very active?[/B]
She did have about 6 teeth extracted with the spay as well. She is moderately active normally. Thanks for the concern, I will keep you posted!

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Poor little honey, I don't know what to tell you besides maybe another trip to the vet, or a another call to them? I hope she starts feeling better soon, keep us updated!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
It was smart to take her back to the vet, just in case. If you feel uncomfortable do not hesitate to call them or take her back in....that's what they are there for. My 2 girls had their spay on the same day. Sassy seems unfazed, but Sadie didn't act "right" for about a week. I took her back to the vet once and they told me she was fine. She didn't seem to be in pain, but she kind of slunk around the house. I suspect it might have been a weird feeling from where she was shaved for the surgery.

Anyway, I know how hard it is to know that something isn't right. Just hang in there. On the 6th day after surgery Sadie was suddenly fine again.

I would suggest that you get a little syringe and give her water in her mouth every hour or so, just to make sure she is hydrated. Also, you could give her a little nutrical. Sadie was constipated after her spay and the vet had me give her canned pumpkin and she LOVED it and that got things moving right along.

·
Registered
802 Posts
aawwwe, poor baby. I am sorry to hear about Charlie. I hope she feels better.
It's probably the six extracted teeth that affected her more, especially the eating.

Perhaps baby food for a little while?

hope to hear things are better soon.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Awww...poor thing. Did the vet do a follow up call?

If you are still worried, I would call the vet and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Just to try to put your mind at ease it took Puddy about 7 days to get back to normal. He just lied on the couch most of the time and didn't really eat too much. I ended up having to go back to the vet to get him extra pain killers on the 3rd day. I was really worried about it because my cats were all fine the next day after getting fixed but the poor Pudster seemed really bad off, however the vet said he was progressing normally. As a woman at my work said they don't say "sick as a dog" for nothing!

·
Registered
424 Posts
hope she feels better now. Anyway, I am planning my maltese to have a spay done too maybe next month, OMG ,I'm gonna be scared and worry after the surgery,I'm gonna be like this too :smpullhair:Cause she's my first dog and never done this before.
Did u pay for the IV fluid and medication and blood work test as well? how much all together? just wanna be prepared next month.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hope she feels better now. Anyway, I am planning my maltese to have a spay done too maybe next month, OMG ,I'm gonna be scared and worry after the surgery,I'm gonna be like this too :smpullhair:Cause she's my first dog and never done this before.
Did u pay for the IV fluid and medication and blood work test as well? how much all together? just wanna be prepared next month.
[/B]
Yes, the vet did all of that. The total for everything (pain meds, surgery, blood work, etc.) was about $375. I'm sure it varies though.

Oh by the way... Charlie is starting to get mats because all she's been doing is lying around (I can't blame her!). I have been trying to brush her, but it isn't her favorite thing and I don't want to traumatize her anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Well, Jack was neutered, and no complications, but he had like 12 teeth pulled, and THAT was sore for him... poor baby!!
He moped for at least four or five days about his poor sore face. To brush him, I would cuddle him and talk in a real high sweet lovey voice, smooch his little nose, and then sneak the brush up and brush just half of him at a time... You could try that !! Much cuddling is needed though... poor baby!

·
Registered
802 Posts
[/B]
Yes, the vet did all of that. The total for everything (pain meds, surgery, blood work, etc.) was about $375. I'm sure it varies though.

Oh by the way... Charlie is starting to get mats because all she's been doing is lying around (I can't blame her!). I have been trying to brush her, but it isn't her favorite thing and I don't want to traumatize her anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions?
[/B]

If you have some sort of spray detangler it would be good. Try to get the mats out with a small plastic come, it's usually gentler. I would not cause her any more discomfort, though...in case the matts are too thick. It's only hair anyway.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just wanted to update you all on Charlie's progress. She is doing much better, has been drinking some water and generally more alert. She may still have some pain, but I can tell it is already much better. Thanks for everyone's concern!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I just wanted to update you all on Charlie's progress. She is doing much better, has been drinking some water and generally more alert. She may still have some pain, but I can tell it is already much better. Thanks for everyone's concern!
[/B]
Yea!! I am so glad!! That's great news... I know you must be so relieved!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts