Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 318 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Cuddles has been so sick lately. Poor baby had her spay last week and now, since Wed, has been throwing up and runny poo. I though we were turning a corner yesterday. She ate, drank, and walked around a bit, but today she had regressed. She woulnt eat or drink and my playful pup just lays there. I called the vet and they mentioned the bad word parvo and told me to bring her in. I didnt think it could be that because she has had her shots and didnt have the classic dark poo etc. She tested negative for that and parasites. They sent me home with canned food and probiotics. She has started throwing up again only she has nothing left. They couldnt find anything wrong other than probably gastro-intestinal upset ( I think thats what they called it).
Im just worried because she is a ball of energy, doesent even nap much and now she barely moves. Have any of you experienced this with your pups? Am I overreacing over a stomach bug or what?!
Heres my sick bug...

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I would get a second opinion asap. She could have an infection going from from the spay or something else. Does the incision site look at all red or like it isn't healing well? It could be internal too. Poor baby! I hope you get it figured out soon!

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
did they do blood work when you took her in as white blood cell count would be high if infection so i would get blood work done and get a second opinion asap

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
I hope they gave her some fluids under her skin. Is she running a temp? You may try just a bit of half broth and water. Just a little ever so often to try and keep her hydrated. Don't overload her tummy. I hope she gets better real soon.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I would definitely be worried. You are not overreacting. It's important to make sure that Cuddles stays hydrated. I always keep some unflavored Pedialite on hand just in case. Did the Vet give Cuddles in fluids under the skin? Did your Vet give you any Flagyl (metronidazole) to give her? You could also home cook some chicken and rice, I usually add a little organic pumpkin, it is suppose to be very easy on their lil tummies. I would also get a second opinion and have a blood panel run to be safe. It could be colitis or a number of things.

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about your little Cuddles.......make sure to keep her hydrated!!! I will say a little prayer for her!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They didnt give her any fluids. That was my main concern, dehydration. They checked her gums and showed me what to watch for. At the time of the visit, she hadnt thrown up since Wed so he didnt think it necessary for nausia/vomiting meds. Then, of course, when we get back home she starts up again. My regular vet was out today so I will call her and see what she has to say. Meanwhile, I am using a syringe to get some pedialyte in her.
I was also concerned about infection from the spay, but her site looks good. They also checked that as well. She is laying here with me now and I am keeping a close eye on her tonight. I pray it is nothing more than upset tummy!
Thank you for your replies and your concern
Kristi and Cuddles

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
I don't have any advice but I wanted to tell you I'm so sorry she's having so much trouble. I hope your vet finds out what's causing this. Bless you heart and hers, I know how stressful it is when they're sick. Please let us know how she's doing.
Hugs to you both.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Awww, I'm sorry little Cuddles is sick. That photo of her is sooooo precious. She just looks like she's saying, "Mommy, I don't feel good." I know you are worried sick; I would be, too. I don't have any other suggestions, except maybe a little Nutrical from time to time. Sending prayers your way for Cuddles' quick recovery. :grouphug:

·
Premium Member
2,984 Posts
Aww, poor little Cuddles :wub: - she looks SO pathetic in that picture. I have nothing to add to the good advice you've already gotten - just wanted to say I hope she feels better soon! :grouphug:

·
Premium Member
10,171 Posts
QUOTE (krisT @ Jan 9 2009, 09:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=702492
My Cuddles has been so sick lately. Poor baby had her spay last week and now, since Wed, has been throwing up and runny poo. I though we were turning a corner yesterday. She ate, drank, and walked around a bit, but today she had regressed. She woulnt eat or drink and my playful pup just lays there. I called the vet and they mentioned the bad word parvo and told me to bring her in. I didnt think it could be that because she has had her shots and didnt have the classic dark poo etc. She tested negative for that and parasites. They sent me home with canned food and probiotics. She has started throwing up again only she has nothing left. They couldnt find anything wrong other than probably gastro-intestinal upset ( I think thats what they called it).
Im just worried because she is a ball of energy, doesent even nap much and now she barely moves. Have any of you experienced this with your pups? Am I overreacing over a stomach bug or what?!
Heres my sick bug...
[/B]
Oh, bless Cuddles precious heart. Yours, too.

As other members here have suggested, I agree that I would absolutely get a second opinion.

Cuddles has that look in her eyes that Snowball has when he is not feeling well. Cuddles is adorable, but, she looks as though she doesn't have any energy.

Please keep us posted as to what your vet says. Please don't feel bad about asking questions and pursuing this further with your vet. We Mommies have gut instincts, that are usually on target, when we feel as though something isn't quite right with our babies.

I'm sure Cuddles will be fine, as long as whatever is bothering her, is taken care of now.
:grouphug: :grouphug:

·
Registered
549 Posts
That little pic just tugs at my heart, she looks so sad! She is so adorable. I will keep her in my thoughts, I really hope your little Cuddles gets better soon.

·
Registered
549 Posts
That little pic just tugs at my heart, she looks so sad! She is so adorable. I will keep her in my thoughts, I really hope your little Cuddles gets better soon.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
I would also bring her in for a second opinion.
She is so cute :wub:
I pray it's nothing and she will feel better in no time :grouphug:

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Awwww bless her little precious self. Hugs to you and that adorable Cuddles.

I also, we find a second vet for an 2nd opinion.

:grouphug:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you everybody. You know how it is when one of your skin babies is sick, you just think it is the end of the world. I like to say Cuddles is our 3rd child:)
She had a rough night, just cant controll her little bowels. I am calling to talk to her doc today. You are right she has lost all energy and needs something! Thnks again everyone!
Kristi

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Sounds like she needs to be in the hosptial on IVs and have some more tests run. i hope she feels better soon

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Oh that is so scary. I'm so sorry. Please keep us updated as to her progress. If your vet won't see her today, I think I'd go to another vet. In fact...I think I'd be insisting she be seen today. Hugs to you and precious Cuddles. :grouphug:

1 - 20 of 318 Posts