Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UPDATE: We went to see Dr. Patricia this morning. She doesn't seem that worried about Lacie's weight as she thinks it's well within the normal range. She took blood and is doing a panel in her office and also will be sending out for additional tests. Her teeth look good, her coat looks good, her eyes, heart, etc. etc. all look good. Dr. P thinks that it could be the change in food and agrees about having an additional mid-day meal fed to Lacie to see if this helps. She will call me back later today with preliminary lab results but it will be a week before the other results are in.

I'm getting concerned about my Lacie. She seems to be losing a lot of weight.

I do try to keep her pretty lean because of her LPs, but she's down almost 3/4 lbs from her normal weight -- and I haven't had her on a diet. (She's down to 5 lbs and should be at almost 6 lbs.)

She's eating all of her meals just fine. She's on Dr. Harvey's. Neither Tilly nor Secret have been losing weight on this diet -- in fact, I have to be careful that they don't gain weight.

Other than the weight lose, Lacie seems fine, so I'm a little perplexed as to what the problem could be.

So, I'm making an appointment with her vet, Dr. Patricia for next week. I don't think it's urgent, but I am concerned.

If you have any ideas on what could be causing this, please let me know.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
I'm getting concerned about my Lacie. She seems to be losing a lot of weight.

I do try to keep her pretty lean because of her LPs, but she's down almost 3/4 lbs from her normal weight -- and I haven't had her on a diet. (She's down to 5 lbs and should be at almost 6 lbs.)

She's eating all of her meals just fine. She's on Dr. Harvey's. Neither Tilly nor Secret have been losing weight on this diet -- in fact, I have to be careful that they don't gain weight.

Other than the weight lose, Lacie seems fine, so I'm a little perplexed as to what the problem could be.

So, I'm making an appointment with her vet, Dr. Patricia for next week. I don't think it's urgent, but I am concerned.

If you have any ideas on what could be causing this, please let me know.

Oh Lynn, good luck. Is any other habit changing? Drinking more? Or anything else out of the ordinary. You said she is acting herself, which is good. And she is keeping the new food down?

Saying prayers, I am sure she is fine, but I know the worry, so you are both so close in my heart and prayers.

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
After my cocklebur (sandbur) incident, I don't think I better try to diagnose. I will keep Lacie in my prayers. I hope it's nothing serious. I agree with you, it's better to be safe than sorry. You don't want any more weight loss. Let us know what Dr. Patricia says. When is your vet appt?

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Lynn, have you tried giving her a larger portion of her food? She might need more than the other two due to her particular metabolism.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
I don't have any ideas about the cause, but I just wanted to let you know
that I'll keep Lacie in my prayers. Let us know what the vet says!

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
So sorry to here this, Lynn. I hope it is nothing serious but you are wise to have her checked because you never really know. Do let us know what the vet says. :grouphug:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Lynn, have you tried giving her a larger portion of her food? She might need more than the other two due to her particular metabolism.
Good thinking! :) I am keeping her in positive thoughts...please let us know what her vet says...now I'm worried too... ((((((Hugs to Lacie girl))))))))

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Lynn, if there is not other 'new' things like more drinking etc it's likely as someone said that she needs a bit more. This food may have lower cal count than what she had been on and as stated she may just have a higher metabolism than the others.
Is it possible she is a bit 'stressed' with the addition of the pup? ( inner stress can rev up metabolism and not be noticeable on the 'outside' ) or even the other way where she is playing harder?

If she doesn't have a history of any digestive issues then I doubt it is any of the other number of conditions to cause weight loss....( not all are serious either... sometimes just need the addition of digestive enzymes for better absorbtion of nutrients for instance) I'm sure your vet will figure it out.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
My Lil Bit is one who,no matter hwo much she eats doesn't gain weight. She gained 2 pounds when she first came to live w/ us,so did Rylee,then they've been the same weight ever since.
I'd get things checked. Bitsy (Lil Bit) is 10 years old maybe she's just getting older and won't gain weight. Rylee is 6 yrs od,he hasn
't gained an ounce since he gained the initial two pounds when he came here.Emily,Sasha and Amber my other fluffs ,who if I don't watch their eating will gain weight...
They all eat the same food.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
(((Lynn)))

I will keep you and Lacie in my prayers.

You have SOOOooo much on your mind right now. I am sorry that you have something else to worry about.

I hope that all will be OK -

((Allie))

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really don't think it's the amount of food as she gets plenty and her tummy is very full when she finishes. I'm more thinking it could be thyroid related. Her coat seems fine, but she is being a little bit more lethargic. Just want to get it checked for my own peace of mind.

Her appointment is Tuesday and Dr. Patricia will do full blood panels as well as T3 and T4 tests and we'll go from there. Dr. P said not to worry if there are no other symptoms and we'll just have to see if anything unusual is going on. If there is a problem, I do hope it's the thyroid as that's very easy to correct. But, of course, I hope that there isn't anything wrong at all.

For the time being, I'm going to have Cathleen (her pet sitter) give her a small mid-day meal too. (But not Tilly and Secret. They're little piggies. LOL )

·
Premium Member
4,906 Posts
Thyroid was the only thing that came to my mind Lynn, other than what the others have said about metabolism, stress, etc. Usually the coat doesn't look as good as it has with thyroid issues though. I'm glad you are taking her to your vet. She'll find out what's up. I'll be keeping Lacie in my prayers and hoping it's nothing that a little extra food won't fix. Hugs.

btw I love your siggy.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Hmm...not sure either. Only major change is the food right? B&E never lost weight on Dr. H. They stayed abou the same. I'm glad you are going to the vet though. Better to look into it just in case and give you peace of mind. I'll be praying for sweet Lacie girl.

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
Lynn, I have no advice but wanted to tell you that I hope this is nothing and she's back to her old self right away!
Sending hugs and prayers to your beautiful Lacie.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts