Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,
I am considering buying a 16 week old Maltese puppy from a very reputable show breeder. My breeder brought the puppy in to a vet for a wellness check etc when the puppy was just shy of 13 weeks and due to COVID she wasn't able to come in with the puppy and when they brought the puppy back to her she found out they had given the puppy a distemper/parvo shot, nasal bordatella, and a rabies shot. She was very dismayed as she never wanted the puppy to have all those vaccines all at once, especially at such a young age. I am thinking of purchasing this puppy but am worried that getting all these shots at the same time and at such a young age might cause health issues down the road. The breeder said the puppy has not had any bad reactions and I did a face time with her today and the puppy seemed healthy. What do you all think? Should I not get the puppy because it might have health issues due to the over vaccination, or do you think it will be ok?

Registered
Ugh! Unfortunately, this happens all the time, including to one of my dogs. I was irate, but he is totally fine and my healthiest dog. It was recommended to me that I consult with Dr. Dodds on how to boost his immune system, which is something you could do. I don't think I would let this stop me from buying the puppy if everything else is good (health is a risk in any dog whether it's from the best show breeder or the pound). Well, another concern is socialization--the socialization window is officially closed now, so hopefully the breeder did a good job of getting the puppy exposed to everything--something hard to do in Covid times!

Registered
When I first got Pipper my vet had said they don't like to give all the shots at once ( especially in a small dog ) because if there was a reaction you wouldn't know which vaccine the dog reacted to. If this is the case then I think she would have reacted by now and from now on I would just space out the vaccines and once she has completed all her puppy shots you can then titer her the next time she is due for shots.

Registered
We got our Laci in October (she is a very tiny Yorkie and weighed only 1.8 pounds. She had her first Vet visit four days later and she did get a Rabies Shot. In January she got a Distemper and Bordatella Vaccine. Neither instances proved to be harmful to her she did very well.Laci now weighs between 2 1/2 & 2 3/4 pounds.

Registered
Hello Folks,
I am considering buying a 16 week old Maltese puppy from a very reputable show breeder. My breeder brought the puppy in to a vet for a wellness check etc when the puppy was just shy of 13 weeks and due to COVID she wasn't able to come in with the puppy and when they brought the puppy back to her she found out they had given the puppy a distemper/parvo shot, nasal bordatella, and a rabies shot. She was very dismayed as she never wanted the puppy to have all those vaccines all at once, especially at such a young age. I am thinking of purchasing this puppy but am worried that getting all these shots at the same time and at such a young age might cause health issues down the road. The breeder said the puppy has not had any bad reactions and I did a face time with her today and the puppy seemed healthy. What do you all think? Should I not get the puppy because it might have health issues due to the over vaccination, or do you think it will be ok?
Hi Sherri, I think the puppy will be fine! If there are any reactions they would happen within the week they were given to her/him? My only suggestion would be that going forward do a Titer test for all vaccines. They can run around $150, but well worth it because they will allow you to see if they鈥檙e still antibodies present in your animals bloodstream from the initial vaccination. I鈥榲e been doing titer tests on all of my animals for years and normally it will take around 4-5 five years after the initial vaccination for it to be cleared out of their bloodstream. If your animal is deemed that they still have antibodies in their blood stream then you are not required to have another vaccine regardless of any protocols (i.e. boarding facilities, etc.). Other than the vaccination for Rabies every 3 years because it鈥檚 mandatory I would totally recommend doing the Titer tests. There are so many people who over vaccinate their animals unnecessarily which will definitely cause problems down the road.

Registered
Hi Sherri, I think the puppy will be fine! If there are any reactions they would happen within the week they were given to her/him? My only suggestion would be that going forward do a Titer test for all vaccines. They can run around $150, but well worth it because they will allow you to see if they鈥檙e still antibodies present in your animals bloodstream from the initial vaccination. I鈥榲e been doing titer tests on all of my animals for years and normally it will take around 4-5 five years after the initial vaccination for it to be cleared out of their bloodstream. If your animal is deemed that they still have antibodies in their blood stream then you are not required to have another vaccine regardless of any protocols (i.e. boarding facilities, etc.). Other than the vaccination for Rabies every 3 years because it鈥檚 mandatory I would totally recommend doing the Titer tests. There are so many people who over vaccinate their animals unnecessarily which will definitely cause problems down the road.
Cody, do you use Dr. Dodds for titer testing? She's the best, imho, and less expensive than vets doing their own. Still only $52 for parvo/distemper, plus the blood draw fee from the vet (usually $30 or so).

Registered
Cody, do you use Dr. Dodds for titer testing? She's the best, imho, and less expensive than vets doing their own. Still only $52 for parvo/distemper, plus the blood draw fee from the vet (usually $30 or so).
No I have a Holistic Veternarian that鈥檚 a great price

1 - 7 of 7 Posts