Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Milo is 20 months old now and if I had it my way he would have a little maltese sister by now but I am in college and still living at home and it would be unfair on my parents as they are the ones minding Milo during the day and I know they wouldn't want to mind another and I know they are kind of against the idea of me getting another maltese because of my younger siblings(they don't have any pets of their own and felt like it was unfair when I got Milo).

I'm not graduating until 2014 and Milo will be 5 then :(
He is very very playful now and still acts like a puppy but that might be different when he is older :(

We have 2 other dogs - the oldest one was almost 7 when we got Milo and she has never bonded with him. He has our 4 year old dog to play with but she is over double his weight so he can't be left unsupervised with her.

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
It really depends on Milo's personality. He might bond perfectly. Five isn't the same as 7. Another thing, His personality is the key. One of my friends has a 2 years old female chihuahua. Her family got a new pup (another chi) when the first was 1 in age. However, the first didn't accept the second instantly. It took much longer for that. Even with that, after a year, the first chi still has the "stay away from me or I get picked up by mommy...not you" moments.

Maybe Milo wouldn't be as bonded at five as he would be if it was gonna happen now (at almost 2), but it doesn't mean that it is imposible for him to bond with a new puppy at 5. In fact, I see it so possible based on his personality.

Snowy is 6 but is a social bug; not only that, but is also playful. He doesnt mind new pups. In fact, being with other pups is one of the things that he loves so much!

I see 2 as the perfect age to getting another new pup, but that said, personality is a very important key to consider!

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Kat!

I agree, I think around 2 is a perfect age to get another dog - I would love if I could get one in the next few months :(

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I agree with Kat, it really depends on the dog. And well if you plan on getting another small dog, then maybe you can wait a little while longer. Milo seems very playful and will probably continue to be like that for a good while. Good luck with your search!

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with Kat, it really depends on the dog. And well if you plan on getting another small dog, then maybe you can wait a little while longer. Milo seems very playful and will probably continue to be like that for a good while. Good luck with your search!
It really does depend on the dog & their personality. I got Sophia when Bailey was 6 and they were perfect with one another from the beginning. Their personalities just click and they get along & play wonderfully.
Thanks for the replies Edith and Jennifer!

I think I have bad puppy fever! :blush:

·
Premium Member
10,201 Posts
Oh, sweet Orla ... I know how you feel about wanting a little sister for Milo. I would love to have a little sister for Snowball, too. However, I think in our case ... my husband and I (and, Snowball) have to wait.

I have to be honest with you ... that since you are living at home while going to college, and if your parents are against it, as you said they are ... then I don't think it would be fair to them. They are already taking care of Milo for you, right? I would be grateful for that right now. I'm also thinking that it is a responsibility to care for our little fluff's ... and, maybe your parents feel as though it would be too much to add on another fluff baby right now.

Again, I can understand how much you would love a little sister for Milo. :tender:

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
I would suggest getting him out for playdates with nice dogs.

Honestly, I got my first Maltese 20 years ago and he was 4 by the time I brought another in and he was pretty set in his ways as an only dog. Every one of the other dogs I brought in did not particularly bond together (Clancy, Clouseau, Calypso and later Cameo).

On the other hand, Cadeau bonded right away with Cameo and adores these girls. And the girls love eachother. I do think it helped to get them all fairly young and close in age.

But to compensate for that, I would encourage you to keep Milo from getting too set in his ways and help him to continue to enjoy other dogs by making them a part of his life now. That way, when a playmate comes to live with you, he will be eager for that.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I think Carina gave some great advice as usual!

I do think it depends a fair bit on the personality too. When I was younger we had "middle-aged" rescues joining us from time-to-time. Some were the only pets in their homes prior to coming to live with us and we almost always had several rescues at a time. Most of them did wind up bonding nicely with each other even despite a couple having questionable temperaments. :)

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
It probably isn't wise to get a 2nd dog without having your own space set up, etc. But, I don't think 5 is neccessarily too old to add another once you are out of college & have your own place. It will really depend on how Milo ages -- some stay very playful, and others turn into grumpy dogs (lol). I like the suggestion of making sure he stays very active with other dogs through playdates, etc.

We got Preston when London was 1 1/2 which was perfect for her, but I can't imagine getting a puppy now that she's 3...but that is just her personality. She gets grumpy at times when she wants to sleep and poor sweet Preston wants to snuggle with her but she won't tolerate it. :( I had a friend who had a 10 year old Sheltie and got another Sheltie puppy and at first the old one was grumpy because the puppy was so hyper, but after a month or two they became great friends & the older one started being more active.

·
Premium Member
6,092 Posts
My first Maltese had health problems throughout his life and when he was 10 years old, I got Rose(12 weeks at the time). I knew Noah's time with us was growing short, and little Rose helped to ease the pain of losing him. I was worried about it but they got along just fine. However, Because Noah was ill and so much older, they could not play together. They did cuddle together though. It was so cute. I tend to agree with your mom and dad on this one. Don't worry, Milo will be able to bond with a new "puppy" when he is 5. My suggestion would be to get an older puppy, (e.g. 6 mos-1yr) or young adult as they tend to not be quite as rambunctious and are a bit easier to deal with. Look at it this way: You have something to look forward to and in the meantime, you can help Milo get ready for the big day when you bring home a new baby! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Orla, you are being very honest w/yourself and know what you and your family can handle...

wanted to interject something else.. while it does depend on the dog's personality, it also depends on the people in the household, as well (who oftentimes, have been the ones to mold the dog's personality in the first place). Too much giving inappropriate attention to a dog, CAN develop "attention seeking behaviors" and can make the other dog "posessive agressive" (NOTE: I didn't use the term "dominant". despise that term because it is so overused and used so inappropriately!)

Indi still loves to play at almost 6years of age. I think you'll be fine. The other nice thing with putting 5 years apart... you won't have two senior dogs at the same time, which means you won't lose, one right after the other (most likley if age related). I always had tried to make sure mine were that far apart in age, then I got involved in showing.. now, I want my next show dog :)))) (which are also VALUED family members!!!)

so, just some random input.

hugs...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts