Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, first of all, hi.. I'm new.. I've had a membership for awhile but have never posted.

But now to the point, my baby Riley (he'll be 9 months next week) was fixed this week (Wednesday, to be exact).. which he took pretty well.. is ready to start getting up to play again. But tonight, we were laying here and he was sleeping and all of a sudden he started making a whimpering noise (according to my fiance.. but I remember it being a little more gasp-y.. but I could be wrong). I checked on him, like I normally do, assuming he was just dreaming and I picked him up - when I did, his head fell back and he was very limp. About a min or so later, he came out of it, was a little disoriented, then was fine. I tried looking it up on google and there were a couple post about how they have very hard sleeping dogs and they could do a lot of things to them without waking them up.. but Riley isn't that hard of a sleeper. He's easily disturbed/woken up.. generally he will just readjust then go back to sleep but this time he just went completely limp.

And now my fiance keeps finding things online that say it could be a seizure or a heart attack.. I was planning on making a vet appointment for this week anyway because he is feeling a little thin/bony (Currently weighs 6 lbs).. but just wondering if anyone has heard of this/what it could be.

Thanks...
<3

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I also would be very worried indeed. I suggest you take him to the vet ASAP. could be many causes I am sure, not meaning to alarm you as I am not at all qualified to answer, but my Bichon Sophie did that and she turned out to have congestive heart failure.

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
Poor Riley!!! Think you should see your Vet ASAP as Maureen suggested.
Did you get Riley from a breeder in Michigan (we are in Mich. also)?

Welcome to SM.....
Bob, Marsha and Chase and Ozzy

·
Super Moderator
10,174 Posts
I would have the vet check it as well, but, my Tessa is a very sound sleeper and when you pick her up in the middle of the night, she is a limp pile of dog, much as you described. Hope nothing is wrong!

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Well, first of all, hi.. I'm new.. I've had a membership for awhile but have never posted.

But now to the point, my baby Riley (he'll be 9 months next week) was fixed this week (Wednesday, to be exact).. which he took pretty well.. is ready to start getting up to play again. But tonight, we were laying here and he was sleeping and all of a sudden he started making a whimpering noise (according to my fiance.. but I remember it being a little more gasp-y.. but I could be wrong). I checked on him, like I normally do, assuming he was just dreaming and I picked him up - when I did, his head fell back and he was very limp. About a min or so later, he came out of it, was a little disoriented, then was fine. I tried looking it up on google and there were a couple post about how they have very hard sleeping dogs and they could do a lot of things to them without waking them up.. but Riley isn't that hard of a sleeper. He's easily disturbed/woken up.. generally he will just readjust then go back to sleep but this time he just went completely limp.

And now my fiance keeps finding things online that say it could be a seizure or a heart attack.. I was planning on making a vet appointment for this week anyway because he is feeling a little thin/bony (Currently weighs 6 lbs).. but just wondering if anyone has heard of this/what it could be.

Thanks...
<3
I think you got some good advice...I'd be worried too, hope it's nothing.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
I would monitor him and if it anything changes then bring him in. That happened to me once with Mia she was sleeping and I wanted her to move over so I called her and she didn't move so I went to pick her up and her head plopped back and she looked like a wet noodle so of course (completely limp) I freaked and started nudging her. It turns out she was just in a very deep sleep. When she finally snapped out of it she did look disoriented. To me since I freaked out it seemed like 2-3 minutes when in fact it was probably 15 seconds. Just keep an eye out.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
It may well be sleep related, not a seizure, etc. But do whatever your conscience tells you, girlfriend. Le us know what you find out, if anything. And welcome to SM! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Poor Riley!!! Think you should see your Vet ASAP as Maureen suggested.
Did you get Riley from a breeder in Michigan (we are in Mich. also)?

Welcome to SM.....
Bob, Marsha and Chase and Ozzy
Yes, I got him from a breeder named Patti Gillens (I think that's how you spell her last name). She generally only breeds pomeranians and yorkies though. As far as I know, she's only had one litter of Maltese.

Also, everyone else - thank you. He hasn't done it again, but I will be making an appointment for this week regardless.. better safe than sorry. I will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I've had Pixie pull the "dead dog" routine on me before and scared me half to death. It's only happened a couple times. She'll be sleeping on my lap and I'll pick her up to move her and she'll be completely limp. Scared me so bad the first time, I almost screamed. Then she slowly cracked open an eye, yawned at me and proceeded to walk around like a drunk and glare at me for waking her.

I really hope this is all it is. Definitely have you baby checked out and watch for any signs of the same thing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How is Riley? Im in Michigan too..what part are you from?
He seems to be doing fine today/tonight. We stayed home with him all day just to keep an eye on him, but we're calling a vet for an appointment tomorrow just to be safe.

But I am from Grand Rapids. You?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts