Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Now, I've been through the old posts about dog food, and I've read through other info online, but I am just plain confused.
Sorry to bring this topic up again.

Like many of you, I've spent a small fortune on kibble to feed my picky Peanut. Right now Peanut is eating Bil-Jac puppy. It's the only food he willing eats everyday. I've read mixed reviews on Bil-jac, but he's actually eating, so I don't really want to change food again.

But, he's been chewing on his feet more than he chews on his toys. His feet look like they have tear stains on them. I read that the feet chewing is because of allergies. I assume it's something in the food. Also, everyone has talked about the "small firm stools with little smell". On the Bil-Jacs, Peanuts #2's are really long and soft and really stinky. Sorry, to be gross. I spoke with my vet about all of this, but she was just so relieved to hear that Peanut was finally eating. So really I am looking for opinions from people who really know how picky these little ones can be.

Also, Bil jac adult has just as much fat as bil jac puppy, which is another concern since I am about to introduce an adult food. Should I do half bil jac and half Canidae (or any better recomendation).

Whew! Sorry this is so long. It'll never happen again
It's my first real post! Thanks so much in advance to anyone who reads this whole thing!!
Alissa

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Hey lil peanut!! Don't worry about your post. It wasnt long. You don't know what a long post is until you start reading DMZ dogs' post! LOL! She's a lover of the english language!

Right now my babies are on biljacs and Noriko's feet are funky looking too--exactly like how you describe Peanuts! Cloud chews on his feet too but not like Noriko. I already bought Natural balance (Dick van dyke's???) so when the biljacs is up, they'll start on that. I've been giving them pieces of it and they seem to love it!

I've tried Science Diet, Eukanuba, Nutro max, and biljacs. It doesnt hurt trying. I had to return the nutro max because they didnt like it at all.

How old is lil Peanut?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Dec 16 2004, 12:32 PM
So I did some research on holistic foods and came up with Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance (sold at some Petco's--check their website to see which stores carry it), O&M (www.ompetproducts.com/main.html) and I am on the look out for another holistic food--I can't seem to find one that I like.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23748
[/QUOTE]

Brinkley is on Royal Canin holistic formula...Natural something...is says "holistic formula" right under the brand name...I got if off of petfooddirect.com. Just another holistic option...

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Buttercloud and Noriko and Nichole!! I've asked people with "real" dogs (so they say) and they don't really worry about dog food. They don't realize how small our dogs are, and honestly every bite they eat counts. I really love this site. This is exactly what I wanted-opinions from people who know malts!

Peanut is 11 months old. Eating kibble has never been his favorite part of the day-used tissues from the trash, he seems to love.

Alissa

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Nichole@Dec 16 2004, 12:35 PM
Oops, that was something that I forgot to add...most places will take the food back if you baby doesn't like it.  I know that the O&M food (I bought it at a health food store) would take it back and even if the store didn't--right on the bag O&M states that if your dog doesn't like it they (O&M) will issue you a refund.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23750
[/QUOTE]

I've donated honestly 50 pounds of food to a local animal shelter. Picky picky little Peanut!!
I love his anyways.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Mine loves to dig the trash too! Drives me nuts!
Mine use to not eat much either. That was when I left the food out all day. Now, if they don't eat it when I put it out, I pick it up and wait until dinner time!
That's AWESOME that you donated the food to the shelter!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Dec 16 2004, 12:32 PM
I was feeding him Bil-Jac's and he did like it, but then after much research I decided to go the holistic route not because I wasn't satisified with the food so much, but more because I have read about the MANY possible health problems that can occur in this breed.  Should something ever happen to Toby, I don't want that nagging thoughts in the back of mind saying, "What if you would have done this, this and this differently?"  My feelings are do the "right" thing now and then you won't have to regret it later knowing you did all you can.

[/QUOTE]

Well said, Nicole. I adopted Lady at 4&1/2 and she has a ton of health problems. I often wonder if I had gotten her as a puppy and her nutrition was better during those first important years, if any of them could have been prevented. As our mothers said (or at least mine did!) "You are what you eat!

Peanut's mom, allergies or not, what I don't like about Biljac is that the first and main ingredient listed is chicken by-products. Meat by-products are everything BUT meat:

The protein used in pet food comes from a variety of sources. When cattle, swine, chickens, lambs, or other animals are slaughtered, the choice cuts such as lean muscle tissue are trimmed away from the carcass for human consumption. However, about 50% of every food-producing animal does not get used in human foods. Whatever remains of the carcass -- bones, blood, intestines, lungs, ligaments, and almost all the other parts not generally consumed by humans -- is used in pet food, animal feed, and other products. These "other parts" are known as "by-products," "meat-and-bone-meal," or similar names on pet food labels.
From the Animal Protection Institute study "What's Really in Pet Foods?"

Bil Jac also contains corn which is found in cheaper foods and can cause allergies.

Do you have any upscale pet shops in your area? Most of them have small sample bags of the premium foods you can try before you buy. You can go to the various websites and do a little research, then see what Peanut likes. The higher quality foods won't have wheat, corn and soy which are the top 3 allergens.

My Lady also has allergies (inhaled and some food) and my vet had me add fish oil to her diet to boost her immune system. I like the 3V caps because they come in small, Maltese-sized capsules. I order them from Revival, but many other catalogues carry them, too.

http://www1.revivalanimal.com/index.cfm?De...1&Product_ID=60

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Dec 16 2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by tlunn+Dec 16 2004, 11:37 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Nichole
@Dec 16 2004, 12:32 PM

So I did some research on holistic foods and came up with Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance (sold at some Petco's--check their website to see which stores carry it), O&M (www.ompetproducts.com/main.html) and I am on the look out for another holistic food--I can't seem to find one that I like.

Brinkley is on Royal Canin holistic formula...Natural something...is says "holistic formula" right under the brand name...I got if off of petfooddirect.com. Just another holistic option...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23752

[/QUOTE]
Thanks! I am off to check it out!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23770
[/B][/QUOTE]

Here is the link to it on the petfooddirect site...

Natural Blend by Royal Canin

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Lexi's mom... when was Lexi chewing on her feet? Kodie just started that... and i havent switched food on him since 8 months ago... I thought maybe he was bord.. because he only does it when i'm not paying attention to him.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Some of you in the East are mentioning brands we don't have here in California. I do use Natural Balance though -- the rolls (like sausage) lamb flavored. I cut it into little pieces and Tessa LOVES it -- that's her main dinner item. She has dry kibble during the day called Lotus, it's a natural product also... but maybe not distributed widely. She also still likes her Eukanuba puppy once in a while.... it's around for her to snack on if she wants it. She likes to nibble here and there but only eats non-stop when I put down the Natural Balance sausage at night.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Biting feet is not only caused by allergies. I thought the same thing because Fantasia bites her toenails and feet. She bites them down to a point and it's like a cat scratch! I asked the vet about it and was told that it can also be from nervousness or just plain boredom. I have to ask my new vet about it though because Fantasia seems to chew way too often and it's ruining her nails. I have to trim them all the time and they are still really sharp!
Anyway Fantasia was also a picky eater and the vet was thrilled when Fantasia started eating too. Although it was Iams (not the best out there and I just recently found out from this forum that they test on animals), she was actually eating SOMETHING. Then Marj gave me a list of some good foods and sent me some samples (I couldn't find anyplace near here that had them). Fantasia loved the Canidae and the Wellness. But she hated the Pinnacle and would go anywhere near the two kinds I tried. She would pick through the little piles of dog food that I made and only eat the Canidae and the Wellness. First I tried one of each kind. She would not eat either kind of the Pinnacle but she did happily eat the Canidae and the Wellness. Then I put one of each in a line like this . . . . . and she went down the line and only ate the Canidae and the Wellness. Then I put them all in a pile and put the Wellness and the Canidae at the bottom and the Pinnacle on the top. She rummaged through and only ate the Canidae and the Wellness. She got to the point where she treated the Wellness like a treat. I did my research and found that the Wellness was more fattening so you had to feed less of it. Fantasia was a big eater when it came to the Wellness so I knew that wasn't an option so we went with the Canidae. We started giving her the Wellness as a treat (one at a time type thing) and she was happy as a clam. But our local store that sells the Canidae doesn't sell Wellness in small bags so when we ran out of the sample that was it for her treats lol. They only sell Wellness in those HUGE bags here. Oh well at least they had the Canidae in the smaller bags. Think they come in 6lb bags.
Anyway good luck with whatever you choose and I hope the feet biting stops.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Dec 16 2004, 12:53 PM
Lexi's mom... when was Lexi chewing on her feet?  Kodie just started that... and i havent switched food on him since 8 months ago... I thought maybe he was bord.. because he only does it when i'm not paying attention to him.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23780
[/QUOTE]

Lexi started doing it in Aug/Sept. She's not doing it anymore. I think it was fall allergies. The vet said to give her benidryl(sp?) to help with it. I only did this if she was really biting at them.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by MomtwoMaltmuffins@Dec 16 2004, 12:45 PM
Like Nicole mentioned I  have also heard too that it is good to mix foods or switch brands since some might have or lacking something that another brand has or does not have.  We change foods  all the time here, basically for that reason.  Also too to give the kids a different taste - variety the spice of life

Timber Wofl Black Forest I really like and Innova has come out with a new food called EVO.  Canidae is another good one.  If you have access to a small upperscale pet store or health store or a petstore that sells only holistic brands of dog food.  Most people at those stores will have a good knowledge of dog foods, what to watch for in foods.  Fortunately for us we have a small pet store and the owner is very concsious of the types of food she sells.    I have done the raw food before but for our lifestyle it does not work out the best. 

Good luck with the food hunt
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23779
[/QUOTE]

Has anyone tried the Innova EVO? I had looked at it but wasn't sure if it was a good food.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by Madeline@Dec 16 2004, 01:55 PM
Some of you in the East are mentioning brands we don't have here in California. <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23781
[/QUOTE]

I believe Breeders Choice, which makes Pinnacle and Avoderm, is a small Southern California company.

I bet you just aren't looking in the right places. Most pet stores, including Petsmart, don't carry the premium foods made from human grade ingredients. You have to go to upscale pet stores/boutiques. Most companies have a store locator on their website.

Another great food to consider is Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul.

http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom+Dec 16 2004, 02:10 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Madeline
@Dec 16 2004, 01:55 PM
Some of you in the East are mentioning brands we don't have here in California. <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23781
I believe Breeders Choice, which makes Pinnacle and Avoderm, is a small Southern California company.

I bet you just aren't looking in the right places. Most pet stores, including Petsmart, don't carry the premium foods made from human grade ingredients. You have to go to upscale pet stores/boutiques. Most companies have a store locator on their website.

Another great food to consider is Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul.

http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23791
[/B][/QUOTE]

Our Petco sells the holistic food I am using...but not the petsmart.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts