Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My best friend's birthday is coming up soon (we have known each other since first grade) and I have just run out of ideas and gifts to give her. We usually spend about $35 on each other for our birthdays. Trust me, in all the years we have given gifts, we have given some crazy ones.
Some of them are just too embarrassing to even mention.
Hehehe.

Anyway, I was thinking about doing something similar to Oprah's Favorite Things, but instead do a Nichole's Favorite Things. I have a beautiful designer bag that I got for a great price and I was thinking about filling it with things like my favorite shampoo/conditioner, nail polish, body wash, lotion, body spray, CD, scented candle and book. Is that a fun idea or kind of lame?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I should also mention that she is super hard to shop for!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
That sounds like a great idea! I'm sure whatever you decide will be cute... your very good at giving gifts! hehe.. <hint><hint> kodie's great gifts for last years secret santa!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I think that is a fabulous idea! It's personal and shows how much you care about her IMO.

I would be very touched if someone special did something like that for me! I'm sure she will be, too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That is a great idea. I wish I had thought of it. My best friends B-day was last month and I didn't know what to give her so I got her a "Date in a bag" (Pretty mini purse, Dinner gift certificate, Movie Passes, and coupon for me to baby sit her kids)

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
That is such a great idea- one I think I might have to borrow!

One year for all the women in my family and circle of friends- I did something similar. I found a woman who made the most beautiful tote bags from vintage fabrics- each woman got one, and then I filled it with small travel size things of really expensive makeup, polish, lotions, and perfume, and then a copy of my favorite book from that year. It was affordable because I bought the travel sizes, but still a treat, since rarely can any of us indulge in such extravagant items.

Another one of my favorite gift ideas is buying women really really nice makeup bags. I know I end up just using the freebies that come with my make-up, or buying a cheap plastic one at the drug store. If I see a sale on a nice leather make-up bag I buy it and put it in my gift closet.

Speaking of which, does anyone else have a gift closet? Over the years I have saved a fortune on gifts by buying things as I see them on sale- even if I don't have a person to give it to yet. It comes handy, especially for last minute gifts or name draw Christmas gifts for work.

Some of my best finds:
Mikasa was having a clearance sale on wedding things, they had beautiful 8x10 crystal frames on sale for $7.50 (regular price was $65!)! I bought 5 and have now given all but one away.

CostCo had Eddie Bauer golf umbrellas for $20!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Oct 7 2005, 12:59 AM
My best friend's birthday is coming up soon (we have known each other since first grade) and I have just run out of ideas and gifts to give her.  We usually spend about $35 on each other for our birthdays.  Trust me, in all the years we have given gifts, we have given some crazy ones. 
  Some of them are just too embarrassing to even mention. 
  Hehehe.

Anyway, I was thinking about doing something similar to Oprah's Favorite Things, but instead do a Nichole's Favorite Things.  I have a beautiful designer bag that I got for a great price and I was thinking about filling it with things like my favorite shampoo/conditioner, nail polish, body wash, lotion, body spray, CD, scented candle and book.  Is that a fun idea or kind of lame?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I should also mention that she is super hard to shop for! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=107381
[/QUOTE]
I think that is a great idea!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't have a gift closet. But I do have a gift bin. It's a large rubbermaid box with a lid. I buy sale stuff to keep in it. Right now it's mostly kid stuff, Barbies, Bionicles, Funky colored nail polishes, sports stuff, stuff like that. My kids are notorious for telling me the day of when they are invited to b-day parties and things like that. I started keeping the bin when my son was in Kindergarten. The bin has saved my booty more than once. I just tell the kids to go pick something out of the bin and put it in a gift bag.

I don't keep much stuff for grown ups in it. I guess I should probably start.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for giving me some advice. I guess I'll give it to her.

Originally posted by Kodie@Oct 7 2005, 08:25 AM
That sounds like a great idea!  I'm sure whatever you decide will be cute... your very good at giving gifts! hehe.. <hint><hint> kodie's great gifts for last years secret santa!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=107411
[/QUOTE]
Awww thanks!

Originally posted by lethalfire@Oct 7 2005, 08:26 AM
Wow that sounds great Nichole, Hey my birthday is in December! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=107413
[/QUOTE]
I'll make ya deal.. You show me what i am doing wrong with my crocheting and I will shower you with gifts. LOL

Originally posted by abkadefkey@Oct 7 2005, 10:36 AM
That is a great idea.  I wish I had thought of it.  My best friends B-day was last month and I didn't know what to give her so I got her a "Date in a bag" (Pretty mini purse, Dinner gift certificate, Movie Passes, and coupon for me to baby sit her kids)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=107486
[/QUOTE]
That is a cute idea! I'll have to remember that one!

Originally posted by Deanna@Oct 7 2005, 10:53 AM
Speaking of which, does anyone else have a gift closet? Over the years I have saved a fortune on gifts by buying things as I see them on sale- even if I don't have a person to give it to yet. It comes handy, especially for last minute gifts or name draw Christmas gifts for work.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=107499
[/QUOTE]
I don't have a gift closet, but I do have gift drawers. I love it too because I am a licensed cosmetologist, so when shampoo and conditioner, hair products, etc. go on sale, I stock up and give that out as gifts. My friends and family love it! I also buy things when they are on sale. I love making little baskets and stuff to give out, so I go to my drawers and stuff the basket full of stuff.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think it a great. I'm going to have to use that idea. I can never think of good gifts. A lot of you have some good ideas. Keep em comin! Christmas will be here soon and I need more ideas!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Nichole I would love to show you some crochet stiches. You will have
to watch me from the front though because I am left handed. I am by
no means great at crocheting but I can show you the basic stitches.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts