Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I visited the Divine site and it recommended 2 breeders that have available pups. I've already been in contact w/ Rhapsody so I decided to call the other, Ballet Blanc. I checked out their site and she has beautiful maltese!! Her pups go to a 5 wk. puppy school before going home @ 12 wks and she sends them home w/ this nice goodie basket among the other stuff. Well I decided to call and chat with her, shes nice, I asked my questions then she said she didn't have any males at this time that will for sure be going to pet homes; she still had to wait a little longer to evaluate them. She told me that the female she has now is $5000. (as pet only) and her male pet puppies are $3-4000!
I thought $2-2500. was the most for a male pup from a show breeder but wow!! Anyway, I found out they are located in NY (Carmel) so it wouldn't of worked anyway.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by snoopychan@Dec 17 2004, 09:44 PM
As you guys know, i've been searching for a breeder... Anyway, I visited the Divine site and it recommended 2 breeders that have available pups. I've already been in contact w/ Rhapsody so I decided to call the other, Ballet Blanc. I checked out their site and she has beautiful maltese!! Her pups go to a 5 wk. puppy school before going home @ 12 wks and she sends them home w/ this nice goodie basket among the other stuff. Well I decided to call and chat with her, shes nice, I asked my questions then she said she didn't have any males at this time that will for sure be going to pet homes; she still had to wait a little longer to evaluate them. She told me that the female she has now is $5000. (as pet only) and her male pet puppies are $3-4000!
I thought $2-2500. was the most for a male pup from a show breeder but wow!! Anyway, I found out they are located in NY (Carmel) so it wouldn't of worked anyway.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24087
[/QUOTE]

Hi, $5,000 seems excessive to me.... You may want to check out Rhapsody again... she has a lot of exciting litters sired by Thriller. They must go fast because just a couple weeks ago she had several more on her site plus a female that she was retiring from breeding... Anyway, here is just one that she mentions on her site.... Good Luck!!http://www.rhapsodymaltese.com/puppies.html

"I will have a male puppy available on Jan 23rd
for a good pet home. He is champion sired,
Sire: CH Thriller and Dam: Surprise. He will be
6 pounds full grown. He has a pretty face and a
silky coat. He is a very sweet puppy with a
happy personality. He is $2000
with AKC limited papers and a neuter agreement.
For more information, please email me.
Please check back for more updates!"

She has others that may be available later on....

"On November 17th, CH Chrisman's Shocked Silly, "Silly",
whelped 1 male and 2 female puppies sired by
Multi BIS/BISS CH Marcris Thrill of Victory, "Thriller"."

"On October 31st, Chrisman's Rhapsody Surprise, "Surprise",
whelped 1 male and 3 females puppies sired by
Multi BIS/BISS CH Marcris Thrill of Victory, "Thriller"."

·
Registered
499 Posts
"She told me that the female she has now is $5000. (as pet only) and her male pet puppies are $3-4000! "

Wow, for that price that dog better crap gold nuggets!
Quincymom

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Kallie/Catcher's Mom for the info!

I was just posting because of the shock of the prices for pet puppies!! I can understand if those were show pups!

Quincymom- I agree with that!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by snoopychan@Dec 19 2004, 01:55 AM
I was just posting because of the shock of the prices for pet puppies!! I can understand if those were show pups!
We'll have to check back and see if this price holds up or if she lowers it. I hope that people won't go for it because it could cause others to raise their prices, too.... !! :eek:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I am not saying the prices aren't really high but Maltese prices have sky rocketed like crazy. Ballet Blanc is a wonderful breeding program. Like you mentioned, she puts them through puppy training and she also gives you a huge puppy pack. These things do matter! You get a very well adjusted puppy who is trained and will be a great member of the family. They are also breeding very nice Maltese coming from Divine Maltese and the Marcris lines. If these things matter to you, then there is generally a premium to pay.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I agree.... the price is ridiculous. I would think only people who don't know any better would go for it. We'll have to check back and see if this price holds up or if she lowers it. I hope that people won't go for it because it could cause others to raise their prices, too.... !![/B]
Or more people will go to pet stores and puppy mills for a cheaper price.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Wow! That IS a lot! The training and puppy package would be good, but wow, it would take a year for me to save up 5,000 of "play-money" for one of her pups and we need a new roof more.

I vow that someday i will get a Divine Maltese pup for Coco to have a little friend.
I will i will i will!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I wonder if the area of the country has anything to do with the price? Carmel is in Putnam County (I lived there many, many years ago) and has become a bedroon community of NYC. It neighbors the very exclusive (and expensive) Westchester County).

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I hated to start a new thread just for this so I hope it's OK to "piggy back" on this one!

Just now went to Rhapsody's site to look at Tonia's beautiful babies and she has a three-month-old male puppy sired by CH Thriller (BIS/BISS American and Canadian CH Marcris Thrill of Victory ROM).

I'm sure he'll be taken soon but for those looking for the best of the best, what an awesome opportunity. She thinks he'll mature to 7 pounds.... Just thought I'd mention it... Price is $2,000.

http://rhapsodymaltese.com/puppies.html

·
Registered
200 Posts
I know what you mean about the exorbitant prices of Maltese dogs... I did about 9 months of research before deciding on Tavish. Once I decided that a maltese was the breed for me, I spent a tremendous amount of time reading and speaking to people about how the breeding history has progressed, who the top breeders were, etc. I finally came across Ballet Blanc, and fell in love. That is where I found Tavish. He was very expensive... more than a Divine, although his father is a Divine (his mother is a Pashes), but as was stated previously, they do have a wonderful breeding/socialization program, and I have to say that in Tavish I absolutely found the best puppy for me. When I first called Linda, Tav was the only boy she had at the time, and he was being considered for show. I was set on having a boy, so I told her I would wait until her next litter rather than buy a girl, but if they decided to not show Tav I would take him in a heart beat. I had to wait for what seemed like years, but finally she called back and told me that she had her hands full showing the 10 she already had ready for competition, and if I wanted I could have Tav. If I was willing to show him, I could have purchased him on a show contract, but he would have cost almost double and I wanted him to be able to go outside, run around, and not have to worry about his coat all the time, so we opted for a pet contract. I don't think you have to spend as much as we did to get an extremely well bred puppy, but I love my little baby!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Tavish@Feb 6 2005, 09:38 PM
I know what you mean about the exorbitant prices of Maltese dogs... I did about 9 months of research before deciding on Tavish. Once I decided that a maltese was the breed for me, I spent a tremendous amount of time reading and speaking to people about how the breeding history has progressed, who the top breeders were, etc. I finally came across Ballet Blanc, and fell in love. That is where I found Tavish. He was very expensive... more than a Divine, although his father is a Divine (his mother is a Pashes), but as was stated previously, they do have a wonderful breeding/socialization program, and I have to say that in Tavish I absolutely found the best puppy for me. When I first called Linda, Tav was the only boy she had at the time, and he was being considered for show. I was set on having a boy, so I told her I would wait until her next litter rather than buy a girl, but if they decided to not show Tav I would take him in a heart beat. I had to wait for what seemed like years, but finally she called back and told me that she had her hands full showing the 10 she already had ready for competition, and if I wanted I could have Tav. If I was willing to show him, I could have purchased him on a show contract, but he would have cost almost double and I wanted him to be able to go outside, run around, and not have to worry about his coat all the time, so we opted for a pet contract. I don't think you have to spend as much as we did to get an extremely well bred puppy, but I love my little baby!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33895
[/QUOTE]

Gosh, it sounds like everything worked out perfectly for you. You have quite a little guy..... the best of the best as far as breeding goes. I'd love to see more photos of him. By the way, is there a story on how you came about the name "Tavish"?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Oh, thank you so much, Kallie and Catcher's mom! (Do you have a girl and a boy?)I think your little babies are gorgeous! And what beautiful white faces they have!
Tav has some tearstaining right now. I am hoping it is from teething and will go away in time... do you have any secrets you would like to share?!
As for his name, I spent a considerable amount of time trying to find one that I loved. As soon as I saw Tav's picture, after looking at hundreds, I knew inside he was the one for me, and when I found the name I got the same feeling. I am of Scottish descent, so I decided I would like to give him a Gaelic name. The very first Scottish Gaelic site I found "Tavish" on translated it to "beloved". It also translates in Hebrew to "beloved". (In Irish Gaelic it means "twin".) I felt "beloved" was a very special and appropriate name for my baby, because he is exactly that! He has a blue plaid harness vest and matching leash that he wears when we go out for jaunts as well, to tie in with the whole Scottish theme! (I may have too much time on my hands
)
Thank you again for your kind words.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Tavish@Feb 6 2005, 11:12 PM
Oh, thank you so much, Kallie and Catcher's mom! (Do you have a girl and a boy?)I think your little babies are gorgeous! And what beautiful white faces they have! 
Tav has some tearstaining right now. I am hoping it is from teething and will go away in time... do you have any secrets you would like to share?!
As for his name, I spent a considerable amount of time trying to find one that I loved. As soon as I saw Tav's picture, after looking at hundreds, I knew inside he was the one for me, and when I found the name I got the same feeling. I am of Scottish descent, so I decided I would like to give him a Gaelic name. The very first Scottish Gaelic site I found "Tavish" on translated it to "beloved". It also translates in Hebrew to "beloved". (In Irish Gaelic it means "twin".) I felt "beloved" was a very special and appropriate name for my baby, because he is exactly that! He has a blue plaid harness vest and matching leash that he wears when we go out for jaunts as well, to tie in with the whole Scottish theme! (I may have too much time on my hands
)
Thank you again for your kind words.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33925
[/QUOTE]

Oh, what a great story about his name! How cute with his plaid accessories!! Pictures, please!!

Catcher is nine months' old and has always had just a little bit of tear staining at his eye area. The groomer clips a couple little hairs close to his eyes and that helps. I use purified water and of course his food has no dyes in it. His eyes tear and the area is wet a lot and I'm hoping that things will improve as he gets older.

Kallie had unbelievably horrible tear staining as a puppy. Her entire face was red!!! But then little by little it went away and she pretty much has no tear staining at all and her face is always dry and clean and white, for some reason!

So, don't fear.... it will definitely get better as he gets older. When Kallie was young I didn't even try to cover it up or remove it as it was a lost cause.

Oh, to answer your question... Kallie is a neutered girl (2-1/2 years) and Catcher is a neutered boy (9 months).

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
With all the health problems my Lady has developed since I adopted her at age 4 (she was a puppy mill puppy), I no longer gasp when I hear the prices the top quality breeders get for their puppies.

At $150 a month, Lady's maintenance medications and diabetic supplies alone run about $1800 a year. This past year was a good one (knock wood!), but the previous 3 were not and my vet bills were about $1000 a year.

I figure it's "pay me now or pay me later".

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks CharmyPoo,

Tavish is priceless to me!
As for his face, he does have some staining now, and I think it is from teething, as he didn't have any before. I am hoping when they are all in that it will go away. Fingers crossed!
I do have Eye Envy, but I haven't had the sort of luck some other people have had with it. I have to tell you, I am in love with all of your little precious babies. Who is your maltese breeder? They are wonderful, and so tiny! How do they all get along? Was it difficult at first when introducing a new puppy to the pack?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts