Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the story about the popularity of Tiny Teacup dogs, which was written by a Miami Herald reporter, I wrote to her asking her to do a follow up story about puppymills, backyard breeders and the like.

This was several weeks ago and so far no response. I thought it was a pretty good letter. I gave her source material to begin her research and a good reason to do so but I guess it didn't fit their format, whatever it is.

I'm quite disappointed although I should'nt have expected anything to come of it. The puppymill story would be alot of work and emotionally draining.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Pico's Parent@Feb 12 2005, 04:16 PM
After reading the story about the popularity of Tiny Teacup dogs, which was written by a Miami Herald reporter, I wrote to her asking her to do a follow up story about puppymills, backyard breeders and the like.

This was several weeks ago and so far no response.  I thought it was a pretty good letter.  I gave her source material to begin her research and a good reason to do so but I guess it didn't fit their format, whatever it is.

I'm quite disappointed although I should'nt have expected anything to come of it.  The puppymill story would be alot of work and emotionally draining.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35052
[/QUOTE]

Did you write the writer or the editor? Typically it is the editor who assigns the story and the writer is just doing her job.... what she is told to do... unless she was a freelancer and sold the story to the paper. You may want to send a copy to the editor.....

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
That would be a great article. There's been so much press about stars buying tiny 'teacup' pups and it would help to educate so many people that just don't know about puppy mills and irresponisble 'breeders'.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good idea about sending my letter to the editor! I'll do that today...

Our local newspaper, which we call the "Excuse for News", has been doing a lot of animal related articles lately. After publicizing the way our Animal shelter euthanizes animals a lot of changes have been made. So I know the media is a good way to get information out to the public. They are now doing a weekly column on adoption, the shelter is allowing volunteers to come in to walk dogs, etc. and they are starting to work with rescue groups as well.

I'm going to send my suggestion to our local editor as well. My husband went to a flea market Sunday and mentioned to his friends that it was a good thing I wasn't along because there were people there selling puppies.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The address is:

Miami Herald
One Herald Plaza
Miami, FL 33132

Nikki Waller was the writer. Or you could just address it to "Editor". I'd love to see several letters on this subject go to that paper....as well as to your local paper. Here's the letter I wrote.

Ms. Waller,

Your article on “Tiny pooches…” January 10, 2005 was picked up by our Hearst paper, The (San Antonio) Express-News today. I read it with dismay because what happened with the Dalmatian breed after “101 Dalmatians” will happen with these small breeds as well. Greedy people will start up new puppymills and expand existing operations, heap untold cruelty upon these breeding animals to turn out volumes of genetically unsound and ill puppies for the public appetite for “accessories”. Then when they realize that these are real animals that need real care they will dump them on shelters, side of the road or just neglect them.

Do not be fooled by people like Ms. Bonfini when she says she refuses to sell puppies to people who seek teacups as purse adornments. First of all, there is no such thing as a Teacup in the Poodle, Maltese, Yorkie or Pomeranian breeds. So-called teacups are out of standard for these breeds. She is in business to make money and it would have to be proven to me that she does not purchase from puppymills. No legitimate, reputable breeder will sell through petstores, brokers, newspaper ads or breed anything called a Teacup.

This is my challenge to you. Find out. Have someone go to her shop and become interested in a teacup. Ask to see the ancestry papers for the dog’s bloodline and breeders. Take those breeders names and match them against the USDA list of breeders at www.prisonersofgreed.org/lista02.pdf (brokers) and www.prisonersofgreed.org/listb02.pdf (breeders). If any of them show up on either list, they are most like brokering dogs from puppymills or are puppymill breeding operations.

Now go to www.prisonersofgreed.org, peruse the site and do these vulnerable animals a real favor and write about them. You cannot imagine the cruelty, heartache and pain perpetuated by these unscrupulous and greedy breeders. USDA inspection is non-existent for these operations. USDA inspectors focus on food supply animal breeding operations because they just don’t have the manpower to enforce the regulations for this segment of the industry.

Also, check out www.spoiledmaltese.com. This website has a forum of Maltese owners who discuss a number of topics relating to this particular breed. You will learn much about the results of unscrupulous breeding. Please do your utmost to get this story done.
With these foolish Pop Tarts popularizing these small breeds and the “Teacup” designation their equally foolish fans will likewise imitate them and drive demand for these breeds that are unsuitable for most people. I know. I have a Maltese and he is nothing at all like the Lab mix I had before. It’s a whole different lifestyle because these dogs are true companion dogs and true lap-dogs. This means that a lap is where they consider their life is to be lived.

If you are unmoved after viewing the Prisoners of Greed website, then you need a heart transplant. If you wish to contact me I am more than willing to assist in any way I can.

Regards,

·
Registered
894 Posts
Pamela,
What an absolutely fantastic letter. If this woman is not moved to action by it you are correct in saying she needs a heart transplant. Thank you for caring enough to write to her....

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I'm hoping that it is just taking some time to research to see if there really is a story there. I sent the letter, somewhat modified, to the Editor and also to our local paper's Editor.

I must say, Texas is tougher than most on puppymill operations. It's not like what I saw on Animal Planet, Miami Animal cops the other day. This petstore had been cited 50 times and the show was about the 51st time he was being cited and they STILL gave him another chance to correct the problems.

The show opened with the ACO peering into the shop window at a dead yorkie pup in a cage. When they went inside, none of the dogs had water and the water bottles were totally dry so they had been out of water for some time. Some of the dogs didn't even HAVE a water bottle! One dog was too big for the cage and couldn't stand up. Several were sick; kennel cough, and several other very contagious illnesses. The stupid, stupid owner! None of the dogs had health certificates. They had to make another visit a month later and this time they shut him down! I'll bet he's back in business by now......this was South Beach or Miami, I can't remember which.

In Texas, when they shut you down, they take the animals and put them up for adoption. You are out of business! Now if they could just impose the death penalty on this crime............

·
Registered
447 Posts
LOL about the death penalty

I hate when people ask (or sometimes TELL) me I got Brit'ny because of Jessica Simpson or Britney Spears

The only person who has a small dog that I kind of admire is Paris Hilton, and that is ONLY because she actually sticks with her dog, she obviously loves her very much. Unlike other celebs who have a different small pooch everytime you see them (i.e. Britney spears, first Pom, then Maltese, then Shih tzu now a chiuahua? These dogs are ALL handfuls!)

Yes I do carry Brit in a cute carrier, not because she is an ornament, but because I feel blessed to have a companion that travels easy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts