Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I will be getting a little Malt next weekend and want to be prepaired. There is a question I have concerning exercise pens.

I bought an 8 panel 24" high pen. It will be sitting on carpet in the family room. My question is what to put under the pen ? I want to protect the carpet and still give the little guy room to run and play.

I am sure lots of you have done the trial and error with mats. Have any of you found something that works well?

ConnieVa

·
Registered
240 Posts
My mom has tried all kinds of flooring. The cheapest way to go may be to hit the home improvement store and buy a sale roll of linoleum flooring. You can cut it to any size you want, and if/when you're done with it, you can just toss it. She has also used clear plastic rug protectors (the kind that go under chairs).

Congrats on the new puppy! Make sure to take lots of pics when you get him/her home!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Pippinsmom@Jun 24 2005, 07:10 AM
My mom has tried all kinds of flooring.  The cheapest way to go may be to hit the home improvement store and buy a sale roll of linoleum flooring.  You can cut it to any size you want, and if/when you're done with it, you can just toss it.  She has also used clear plastic rug protectors (the kind that go under chairs). 

Congrats on the new puppy!  Make sure to take lots of pics when you get him/her home! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74839
[/QUOTE]
I might have to do that! I was going to get the splash board stuff but I can't fit it in my car and I don't know anyone (in town) with a truck! A roll of stuff would work out great.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Splash board? I am not sure what that is. I have a truck want me to help you ?

I work for a home improvment store so I do have access to lots of things.

Fill me in on what splash board is.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Pippinsmom@Jun 24 2005, 08:10 AM
My mom has tried all kinds of flooring.  The cheapest way to go may be to hit the home improvement store and buy a sale roll of linoleum flooring.  You can cut it to any size you want, and if/when you're done with it, you can just toss it.  She has also used clear plastic rug protectors (the kind that go under chairs). 

Congrats on the new puppy!  Make sure to take lots of pics when you get him/her home! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74839
[/QUOTE]

Linoleum sounds good. If I use that I was thinking I could cut an Octagonal, long run, as well as a square. Different sizes for different configurations.

How about vinyl? Think that would work?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by ConnieVa@Jun 24 2005, 08:10 AM
Splash board?  I am not sure what that is.  I have a truck want me to help you ? 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74853
[/QUOTE]
Don't know what it is really called. It is the stuff that looks like tile that you put up in the bathroom and kitchen. It is like a board with vinyl flooring on it but it is meant for the walls.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
We had Scooby in the lounge room on the carpet in his play pen but we just put a drop sheet (tarp) down to cover the carpet and then put the x-pen on that, it worked very well for us and it is waterproof too so nothing went on the carpet. We put a washable pee type pad in there too so he had somewhere to walk without slipping although the tarp isn't too bad. You can buy these drop sheets or tarps I think you call them here in the States at any of the big stores and they are not expensive and they are reusable for any other time you may need them.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Jun 24 2005, 09:24 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ConnieVa
@Jun 24 2005, 08:10 AM
Splash board?  I am not sure what that is.  I have a truck want me to help you ? 

Don't know what it is really called. It is the stuff that looks like tile that you put up in the bathroom and kitchen. It is like a board with vinyl flooring on it but it is meant for the walls.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74856
[/B][/QUOTE]

Gotcha !!!!!! Because I want to do several configurations I am trying to find something I can either cut in several shapes or something lightweight enough that it looks good but easy to move.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by ConnieVa+Jun 24 2005, 08:26 AM-->
Originally posted by Lexi's [email protected] 24 2005, 09:24 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-ConnieVa
@Jun 24 2005, 08:10 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74856

[/QUOTE]

Gotcha !!!!!! Because I want to do several configurations I am trying to find something I can either cut in several shapes or something lightweight enough that it looks good but easy to move.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74859
[/B][/QUOTE]
Yeah I know what you mean. I live in an apartment so I don't have a lot of room to store things. Also the splash board stuff comes in 4'X8' sheets. So even if you have the pen in a square you won't have any overlap outside the pen. So you would have to use to pieces to get an octagon. I think I will try to get the linoleum. That way I can cut it to the size I want

I have the same size pen you have. I was thinking of trying to make the pen smaller when I first get the puppy so that she doesn't have too much room. I was going to see if I could fold it so the pen is only using 6 panels. I was going to try doing a rectangle of 2 panels X 1 panel. Haven't tried it yet so I don't know if it will work

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by LucyLou@Jun 24 2005, 09:57 AM
Kristi,
Make your pen a 2 x 6.  This is ideal for having room for the bed, food, water, and the pee pad at the other end.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74893
[/QUOTE]
I don't have room for that.
Normally I have the pen set up in a square (4'X4') but I was thinking that might be too much room for a puppy. I only have room for a 4' wide pen. I will have to play around with it on Sunday and Monday.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I've been using this clear plastic rug protector that I got at Lowes. I was searching and searching for something and then I just came across this stuff. I found it near the oriental rugs and it comes in long sheets but they are only like $2.00 a piece so I actually bought 4 of them and covered almost whole room in them.~Lori

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lots of good ideas from everyone. I found some vinyl today for $14.00 for a 6'x9'. I think I could get several good cuts out of it and maybe find something to blend with the carpet.

I could not find any clear that would cover the width I need.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did a lot of looking today and decided to use the rug protectors. I didn't get the stick down type because it was so thin I figured a toenail could go right through it.

I got the kind with the little spike on the back that helps hold it in place. It's a little rough on the serface so if there is an accident the pee won't run off. It is not wide enough to fit the pen so will have to put two lengths in the pen and overlap them but it still will hold on to the carpet. There was enough on the roll to cut several shapes.

ConnieVa

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I just went to Menard's (home improvement store) and found a 5'X6' pre-cut and packaged piece of vinyl flooring for $12! I was looking at getting something off the roll but that would have been minimum of $36. The left over rolls were all ugly. The one I got is white with little green things in some of the corners.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I went to a local flooring center and asked the the person working if they had any scraps of linoleum for a puppy play pen and he gave me a piece for no charge. If they have scraps it has already been paid for by the customer so there shouldn't be a charge.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.