Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*whew!* Glad that is done! Xena's spaying, etc. appt. was last Thursday. She was spayed, had her eyes flushed (& is now on drops for two weeks), had EIGHT teeth extracted! (The teeth were a surprise to everyone even the dentist thought she'd only need one or two taken out, but the others were really loose & just sort of came out!
)

We brought her home the same day- Thursday night & she was okay except for the consistent peeing in small amounts! Her stitches are not visiable & she's not bothering them very much. Have to say she's very much her cute self. We go back for a check next Monday.

Oh, yes, Xena is eight pounds! I guess she'll be closer to 7.5 when she loses the rest of her baby weight!

Pic from this weekend added in signature!

Deanne

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Oh, I'm so glad it is all over and everything is OK..... I know how we worry about our babies... and it is hard to relax until shots are over with and spaying/neutering and teeth issues are over with... then we can relax!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
What kind of drops are you using for Xena? I was looking at the corrylium at the pharmacy this weekend and found that it is nothing but purified water and boric acid with a preservative. At $4.98! for an ounce or two. The boric acid makes since because that will correct any ph imbalance, which is the culprit in many skin issues. As a matter of fact I use a homemade solution of purified water and boric acid as a spray on toner for my face. My aesthetician recommended it for my facial seborrheic dermatitis after I complained to her about the expensive non-steroidal cream my dermatologist prescribed that did little to alleviate the problem.

The boric acid toner worked like a charm and I've been using it for 10-12 years now. No more itching, flaking or redness.

When Pico's staining starts around his eyes it is crusty between his eyes and red. I've found that a mild antibiotic administered for 7 days clears it up and stays clear for about 4-6 months. After I get this last bout cleared up I'm going to go to the boric acid solution and wipe his eyes with it daily and see if that keeps the crusty red from coming back.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Glad to hear you've gotten the procedures out of the way. The new photo is very cute.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pamela,
I'm not sure (way to go, mom!) It's a white liquid that we got by prescription. I'll check when I get home. The vet flushed her eyes, but it wasn't as complete as he wanted it to be, hence the drops. Xena's eyes do seem a bit clearer, so we'll see.
Interesting info about the boric acid!

Deanne

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
She looks gorgeous! Were the pulled teeth retained baby teeth, or were they permanent one? I am so glad that she's doing well. We get our baby spayed the end of Feb. and I am already starting to get nervous. BTW, Xena's coat is beautiful...what do you use on her?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sadly, those were permanent teeth! Pregnancy really takes a toll on a dog's teeth, Xena does not like to have them brushed & her breeder didn't force it (imo). Fortuantely, she's all caught up & we give her healthy teeth treats & food, so *fingers crossed* the rest of those teeth stay put.

I just commented last night to my husband how white Xena's coat is! Her breeder didn't use anything special on her & I've only bathed her once (Wednesday night before surgery) with Bless the Beasts Detangling. She only has a tiny bit of cream in her ears. I guess she's just naturally beeeyoutiful!

Deanne

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I'm glad everything went so well!

Wow... 8 teeth!! And I thought Kodie had A LOT to take out with his 7 (baby teeth)!!.. haha..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts