Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was officially DAY ONE training with Hunter's new Xpen in anticipation of our vacation in August. I am doing this on my own because I HATE our trainer and feel like she has made some of Hunter's reactive behaviors so much worse that now I worry he will never complete his training (grrrr.....).

Last night he had his dinner in the xpen with the door wide open and me standing at the sink like we usually do. He barely noticed the pen.

Today, I fed him breakfast in the pen and leaned the gate shut behind his bowl. No problems. I then cleaned his bowl with him in the pen looking at me. Praised him and treated and let him out.

Then DH took over for the day and each time Hunter got a treat he was treated in his pen with the door open.

Then I came home with a FLOSSIE and Hunter went into his pen with the Flossie, the door was shut and I walked down the hall for 2 minutes....no barking!

Dinner was fed in the Xpen with me still in the room and when we got back from swimming a final treat was given in the xpen with the door shut. This time, Hunter watched me shut the door before he ate his treat and he was fine - no barking.

(typically, if in his crate - Hunter barks at you while getting into the crate and then barks as the door is shut and while you walk away)

I am so happy with his progress and intend to continue these baby steps all week. I want to be able to walk out of the kitchen door onto the deck by the end of the week and just shut the door and open it without a bark.....wish me luck!:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
10,175 Posts
Hunter - dis is Tessa. You can see fwum our other picshures that we were in an xpen on vacation too. We weally wiked it cuz mommy gave us cookies for going inside and gave us cookies in da morning when we woked up too! You'll weally wike your pen too!

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ended up getting the SeaBreeze Pen because we are really limited on space in the car. I got the 8 panel 18" wide by 24" tall. Its a little bit smaller than I envisioned (I might have been more liekly to go with 10 panels) but since we are staying in a condo with the rest of my family its the perfect size for this vacation.

I'm still concerned he will be able to pick it up or push it but that's why we are taking things SUPER slow. I have over a month to train him so I'm hopeful :)

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
That's awesome that Hunter is adapting to the pen so well. Just watch and make sure he doesn't climb out of it or try to climb out. I keep my fluffs in an expen when working and one day at a picnic Miss Noelle was climbing out of the pen, never knew that she could do that, so i ordered a top for the expen.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I ended up getting the SeaBreeze Pen because we are really limited on space in the car. I got the 8 panel 18" wide by 24" tall. Its a little bit smaller than I envisioned (I might have been more liekly to go with 10 panels) but since we are staying in a condo with the rest of my family its the perfect size for this vacation.

I'm still concerned he will be able to pick it up or push it but that's why we are taking things SUPER slow. I have over a month to train him so I'm hopeful :)
I love my Seabreeze pen. It has never occurred to Lady to try to push her way out. Of course, I only use it when my grandchildren visit and the purpose is to keep Lady safe.

We have even used it as a playpen for my little 18 month old grandson. He could knock the whole thing down easily, but seems to respect its boundaries.

Evan was much younger here, but it worked well!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that is by far the cutest picture ever! between him wanting to be in Lady's xpen and in her bed I wonder is he thinks himself a puppy like Lady?!?!

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
GO Hunter Go Hunter!!!! Kudos Erin for starting his transition nice and early. I think in a month's time he should be pretty well adjusted. So I missed the reason behind the xpen though. Fill me in. You are going on vacay but why do you need to put Hunter in the xpen? Are there non-Hunter lovers going?

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
^Disregard my above question...I just searched your threads and found my answer ;)

I got one of those baby sun domes from babies r us to put B&E in when we go to the Outer Banks next week. This way if it's sunny and they want to be on the beach with us they won't be in the direct sun. I'll let ya know how that works out ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts