Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to plan a yard sale for a while now, but kinda skeptical doing so, as I have weird feelings about strangers coming to my home. But anyway I am wondering, what items sell best?

I am kinda iffy on the clothes, though I have TONS of kids clothes that just gotta go! Do people really look for clothes? Maybe I will just list everything for a buck and pray it goes and I make a little money. What doesn't go is gone to Goodwill or to a church. Ebay is out of the question, between them and paypal, they take away all your money.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
I wouldn't like the idea of strangers coming to my home either.

I know that for "New Generations" a place that I volunteer - holds a community yard sale. Is there a way that you could hold a yard sale with your friends - so that you would have help (I could not believe the amount of work that is involved in such an event).

All’s that I have to say - is that you are one busy lady, you must be exhausted at the end of the day.

Allie

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
We (me, my mom, sister and friends) used to hold yard sales twice a year. They would be either at my dad's house, my mom's house or my house. What fun days they were!!!!! It sure is a lot of work and a tiring day, but we always had a ball.

......beware, don't put things out until you are ready to sell them because there are always "early birds" who want to grab all the good stuff up before the opening time!! :angry:

Don't make it such a long day 9am to 12 or 1 is fine. Make sure you get a permit from your boro hall. Make up signs and put them around the neighborhood. And put an ad in the local newspaper.

Then when it's over, don't put stuff out for trash until trash day, because trash pickers will come back and get everything for FREE!!! :w00t::HistericalSmiley: ....that happened at my dad's house a couple of times - it's not the taking of the stuff that gets you mad, it's when they leave trash strewn all over your yard!!!! :w00t:

Usually after the sale is over, we pack up the better stuff and haul it off to the Habitat for Humanity store or other second hand stores.

It's a good way to "clean out". I wish I had the ambition to do it again, but just the thought makes me tired, LOL.

Oh, and as a ritual, after the sale us girls would go out and spend the money!!!!!! :HistericalSmiley: Sometimes when we were at flea markets, we'd say we need to buy stuff for our yard sale,LOL....:HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Never have the sale inside your home - always outside! Its really not a big deal! If you have kids clothes - sell them! My mom use to make the most money at the sale off our old clothes. Make sure you put on posters and such that there are lots of kids clothes. The most she ever sold out clothes for was $20 and that was for a winter jacket. Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
I agree with Erin. We've done yard sales up in Vermont every few years. The kids clothes and especially kids toys and books sell like hotcakes, especially when the kids are with the people coming. All these kids would put a guilt trip on their parents and they would buy something.:HistericalSmiley: We've sold bikes, skis, skates, appliances, dishes, etc. When my DS was younger he used to love to help out, so you can probably get some of your kids involved.It's tiring but with the kids, it's kind of fun as a family venture. I think kids love to handle money and feel grown up making change, etc. I also let my DS keep the money for his toys and sports gear that he wanted to part with. Otherwise they want to keep everything:) Make signs to put up ahead of time, maybe ad in the paper, but not necessary to spend that money unless you're way off the beaten path, and be ready for people to haggle. . Good luck!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
we dont hold yard sales over here but we do car boot sales. Do you get those over there? They are help in a car park normally - everyone goes along with their car and fills the boot up with whatever they are going to sell. I think theres a small charge but othing much. Manyalso have tables set up next tp the car with their stuff

Not sure if you get them there but would be better than having them at the house if your unsure xx

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
"and be ready for people to haggle. . "

OMGosh, that is one aspect of it - that I was completely blown away by - a dollar item, and they offer fifty-cents. I thought the person was kidding, I laughed, I think that I shamed him into coughing up the buck.

I said "it’s going to the shelter for unwed mothers, you are aware of that, right?" - some people. :blink:

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
In regards to "dickering"...put a reasonable price on everything, but not dirt cheap, 'cause the shoppers will want to get it for a lesser price then you have it tagged for. If there's a lot of nick nacks put them on a table with one price. Keep control of your sale. Have a lot of help, b/c people will just walk off with the items. If you have tons of clothes, rather then pricing each article of clothing, color code the clothes with colored adhesive dots, then make a sign with the value of each dot. Take group pictures of the garments with each color, so there's no dot changing and discussion come time to pay up. Pricing EVERYTHING indivudally will drive you insane! Make sure your ad states "NO EARLY BIRDS" Good Luck, and I hope you make LOTS of $$$$ :thumbsup:

As a FYI...for every garbage size bag of clothing donated to Goodwill, etc. counts as a $500 donation deduction come tax time. :chili:

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
we dont hold yard sales over here but we do car boot sales. Do you get those over there? They are help in a car park normally - everyone goes along with their car and fills the boot up with whatever they are going to sell. I think theres a small charge but othing much. Manyalso have tables set up next tp the car with their stuff

Not sure if you get them there but would be better than having them at the house if your unsure xx
I was going to say that!

I went to a car boot sale last year to help my parents and it was fun :)

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
I was going to say that!

I went to a car boot sale last year to help my parents and it was fun :)
Over here, if some one is selling from their car/truck in a parking lot we think it's probably stolen! :HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
In Texas we called that "Garage sale". I have done a few but really don't like them. People want something for nothing. We had brand new jackets (they were samples) worth at least 80$ in the stores. We put them out at 20$ and nobody was interested. I rather give the stuff away for free to somebody needy than haggle with people who don't want to pay an already cheap price.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts