Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cloud's first 1 year check up with some vaccinations was last year. Since his 2nd year check up is almost due (Aug), other than a rabies shot, are there more shots to get? I mean, do dogs get yearly vaccinations (specific ones) or do they last for a specific time frame then they get vaccinated when the time is up? I'm just curious to know if after the 1st year (other than a yearly or 3 year rabies shot), do they get yearly vaccinations? If so, can you please tell me the names (detail of what it does) and how many? Thanks!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
You should not need an annual rabies in NY. Only every 3 years after the initial booster.
If you are doing vaccines DHPP is given every 3 years. Any other vaccine should be based upon your pet's lifestyle and need.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I administer DHPP boosters every 3 years for mine, but take to the vet for rabies annually (the law here in Smith county, TX).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of your answers. I wasn't really sure if his 1st rabies shot was a 1 year kind or 3 year kind (I assumed the rabies shot was done yearly).

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I am not positive but I think the first rabies vaccination is good for 1 year. The 2nd is done every 3 years or whatever laws your state has. Rylee has an appointment tomorrow for a yearly check up. I am not going to have her vaccinated again. I have tittered her twice and I won't do that again.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Just wanted to add that when you go in for the rabies booster make sure to specify that you want the 3 year. Even in a state that does not require the 1 year, some unscrupulous clinics will give the 1 year anyway - it happened to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts