Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone! I have a two year old female maltese. She weighs 4.5pds when I cut her hair... 5 when I let it grow :thumbsup: She is going for her yearly vets appointment and I am asked what vaccinations I would like her to receive. I never know, she is my first dog, so I am not exactly an expert. I am hoping to get some feedback. She is outside a lot during the summer and we live right in front of woods with all sorts of animals all over. We almost lost her last year because she got into something she wasn't suppose to and that was a very difficult time, it felt like I was losing my best friend. It brings tears to my eyes right now just thinking about it :bysmilie:
We live in northeast PA...not sure how much region matters. Thanks to anyone who can give input! And Molly thanks you too :wub:
Also, we take her to the beach a lot in the summer.... not sure what all matters so I am trying to include her typical lifestyle!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
If she has had a rabies as an adult it should be good for 3 years. Same with the DHPP. Annually would be a heartworm test and exam. If any other vaccines are essential to your area, you should discuss them with your vet.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
the only vaccine you cannot refuse is rabies. Because of the law. Some States demand vaccination every year (less and less) and others every 3 years. As for the other vaccinations, if she had them last year I would skip on them. Our dogs are over vaccinated and over medicated. And this is not good for the immune system.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
the only vaccine you cannot refuse is rabies. Because of the law. Some States demand vaccination every year (less and less) and others every 3 years. As for the other vaccinations, if she had them last year I would skip on them. Our dogs are over vaccinated and over medicated. And this is not good for the immune system.
Agree on the over vaccinating.

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/52-maltese-health-behavior/104511-do-you-chose-vaccinate-do-you-chose-not.html

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is titer? Also if she was tested last year for almost everything I guess she won't need it this year? I guess my little one is getting out of shots and blood tests - besides whatever this titer is!

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
I agree with everyone on the over vaccination of pets. It is reported that only 25 per cent of Vets are folllowing the reccommeded shot protocols from the Vet schools and top immunologist. The vaccines are taking perfectly healthy Maltese and giving them health problems for life. How did all the dogs ever survive with out all our VACCINES!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Ask your vet if they even do the titer testing...some don't. Personally, I think it's whack that our tiny dogs receive the same amount in their shots as do big dogs. Strange....and no wonder so many small dogs have problems afterwards, too. ((sigh))

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
what about bordetella boosters?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
The bordetella vaccine is against one bacterial type of kennel cough caused by the bordetella bronchisepta bacteria. It does not protect against the more common viral kennel cough (canine upper respiratory disease complex). Unless it is required by your kennel or groomer, it is not an essential vaccine. It only lasts 6-12 months so if you give it, you do need to be boostering every 6-12 months.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Since mine girls go to the groomer I was advised to get it. The girls receive it twice yearly. Is this good advice?

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
One reason that mobile groomers are really growing all across the country is that they don't require all those nasty vaccines. You might want to look into a mobile groomer.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts