Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Yearly Vet Shots

2K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  Jayne 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone! I have a two year old female maltese. She weighs 4.5pds when I cut her hair... 5 when I let it grow :thumbsup: She is going for her yearly vets appointment and I am asked what vaccinations I would like her to receive. I never know, she is my first dog, so I am not exactly an expert. I am hoping to get some feedback. She is outside a lot during the summer and we live right in front of woods with all sorts of animals all over. We almost lost her last year because she got into something she wasn't suppose to and that was a very difficult time, it felt like I was losing my best friend. It brings tears to my eyes right now just thinking about it :bysmilie:
We live in northeast PA...not sure how much region matters. Thanks to anyone who can give input! And Molly thanks you too :wub:
Also, we take her to the beach a lot in the summer.... not sure what all matters so I am trying to include her typical lifestyle!

#3 ·
the only vaccine you cannot refuse is rabies. Because of the law. Some States demand vaccination every year (less and less) and others every 3 years. As for the other vaccinations, if she had them last year I would skip on them. Our dogs are over vaccinated and over medicated. And this is not good for the immune system.

#11 ·
I agree with everyone on the over vaccination of pets. It is reported that only 25 per cent of Vets are folllowing the reccommeded shot protocols from the Vet schools and top immunologist. The vaccines are taking perfectly healthy Maltese and giving them health problems for life. How did all the dogs ever survive with out all our VACCINES!!!!!!!!!

#12 ·
Ask your vet if they even do the titer testing...some don't. Personally, I think it's whack that our tiny dogs receive the same amount in their shots as do big dogs. Strange....and no wonder so many small dogs have problems afterwards, too. ((sigh))

#14 ·
The bordetella vaccine is against one bacterial type of kennel cough caused by the bordetella bronchisepta bacteria. It does not protect against the more common viral kennel cough (canine upper respiratory disease complex). Unless it is required by your kennel or groomer, it is not an essential vaccine. It only lasts 6-12 months so if you give it, you do need to be boostering every 6-12 months.

#22 ·
#24 ·
Anyone considering vaccinations for tiny dogs should read Jan Rasmusen's blog:

Vaccination Risk for Small Dogs | Truth4Dogs

My opinion is: Only give vaccinations if/when they are absolutely necessary. Don't play Russian roulette with a dog's health by over vaccinating. Regardless of what anyone else thinks, including the vet, we are our dog's advocates and they rely on us alone to protect them, not other dog owners, not their vet, or anyone else. Carefully weigh the benefits against the risks.

#25 ·
I'm not sure your question was ever really answered about blood tests. I take mine in for a yearly vet well check and full blood panel, heart worm test and fecal check. The yearly full blood panels are a great way to catch something really early. Also, it's great to have as a baseline if ever your dog were to become sick. As for vaccinations, really the only vaccine mine get anymore is the rabies, which is legislated for every 3 years in my state. I do also give them the dreaded Lepto Vaccine in the spring ONLY because it's prevalent in my area and my Zoe got it when she was 3. The Lepto vaccine does not protect against all strains of the disease, but the strain Zoe had was one the vaccine covered. I make sure they get the new 4 way vaccine and I also make sure to stay away from the brand Fort Dodge for both the rabies and lepto. They get pre-medicated with children's benadryl and I always make their appts. early in the morning and hang around the vets office for a good hour after the vaccine. I also never do both the Rabies and Lepto the same day. Since I only do those two vaccines, I don't even do them the same time of year. Also, I do a holistic detox on my two when they have a vaccine. I'm really hoping that when it's time for their 3 year rabies, it's been determined that it can be even longer.

Oh...Lepto is only good for 6 months but I only do it in the spring when there is higher risk of them walking through the urine of an infected animal.

As for bordetella...it does not cover all the strains either and is fairly easy to treat...not life threatening. So I wouldn't even do it, even if I did take them to a groomer. If the groomer insisted on it, I'd do a mobile grooming service. Or do them myself like I already do. :)

#27 ·
I'm not sure your question was ever really answered about blood tests. I take mine in for a yearly vet well check and full blood panel, heart worm test and fecal check. The yearly full blood panels are a great way to catch something really early. Also, it's great to have as a baseline if ever your dog were to become sick. As for vaccinations, really the only vaccine mine get anymore is the rabies, which is legislated for every 3 years in my state. I do also give them the dreaded Lepto Vaccine in the spring ONLY because it's prevalent in my area and my Zoe got it when she was 3. The Lepto vaccine does not protect against all strains of the disease, but the strain Zoe had was one the vaccine covered. I make sure they get the new 4 way vaccine and I also make sure to stay away from the brand Fort Dodge for both the rabies and lepto. They get pre-medicated with children's benadryl and I always make their appts. early in the morning and hang around the vets office for a good hour after the vaccine. I also never do both the Rabies and Lepto the same day. Since I only do those two vaccines, I don't even do them the same time of year. Also, I do a holistic detox on my two when they have a vaccine. I'm really hoping that when it's time for their 3 year rabies, it's been determined that it can be even longer.

Oh...Lepto is only good for 6 months but I only do it in the spring when there is higher risk of them walking through the urine of an infected animal.

As for bordetella...it does not cover all the strains either and is fairly easy to treat...not life threatening. So I wouldn't even do it, even if I did take them to a groomer. If the groomer insisted on it, I'd do a mobile grooming service. Or do them myself like I already do. :)
I like all of your suggestions. I just received yesterday a notice for my dogs yearly.. Three of them anyway.. They are Bichons. The youngest being 3 and the oldest being 5 years. One of the three year olds is very sensitive to just about anything given them, especially bordetello.. I have been thinking seriously about a titer test for all six of my dogs actually. (three bichons and three malts)...How did you handle this with your vet..Was he approving? And how did you do a holistic cleanse. That was intriguing to me... My big worry is, because I rescue, would I be putting my dogs in any danger by not innoculating them. We have already gone through a bout of kennel cough brought in by a rescue..Not fun for any of my babies. Thanks for all your advice, you seem well informed...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.