Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all,
Need your advice! A couple of weeks ago my boyfriend brought Kiki over (his pom-a-poo) and I noticed possible flea eggs on her back. I checked, and sure enough it was.
Oh no. Thankfully Teddy and the cats didn't have any on them. She doesn't live with us just comes over to visit weekly. I bathed her and Teddy (as a precaution) and then after a few days put the drops on them. They are supposed to last 30 days. Well, you guessed it. Kiki came over this weekend, and she had a ton of fleas on her again! But this time, Teddy had them, and very unfortunately, the cats had eggs on them. Oh my. I wouldn't get so freaked out about the dogs having fleas, but the cats are another story. They are indoor animals and they are more vulnerable little creatures. Plus bathing them nearly put me in an allergic coma! FoSo anyway, I bathed all four animals over the weekend, and all four of them got the flea collars. Now, I'm still finding fleas on them.I washed their beddie blankets, vacuumed like a mad woman, cleaned the heck out of everything, washed all bedding, rugs, etc. Why is this still happening? I mean my house is very clean. I feel like a bad mommy.

We think we know where the source of the problem started. Jimmy brought Kiki over to a friend's house that he thinks has fleas (not the friend, the friend's dog LOL). Then Kiki brought them home, then carried them to my house. So it is totally uncontained at this point. I need help. I don't know what products work best on controlling the situation. So far, nothing I've used seems to be working.
So I am under the impression they shouldn't get fleas bc of the 1) drops and 2) collars. But they still have them. Is this supposed to happen? Why aren't the drops working?
We are carefully calculating fogging both houses. His first, then mine. But I don't know which medicated products I should use. Some of them can be a very strong irritant to the dogs and I don't want to do that to them.
I have heard that here in Chicago this year the fleas are worse than they've been in 20 yrs. Lucky me. Up to this point, none of the animals have ever had fleas. They are all adults.
Any suggestions?

Thanks as always. You guys are the best!!
Jackie/Teddy

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Jackie,

My Vet likes to use the most natural of substances...so I put about 6 drops of Cider Vinagar in My Teddy's water. He has never had a flea, although he did not before I was doing this also. But she says it changes the way the flea is attracted to them....or in this case not attracted.

I hope this helps a little.

I don't use any of the other products so I am not up on them.

P.S. I started with only 1 drop and built my way up...with your situation you may want to see if your Teddy will drink the water with the whole amount before you take the time to build it up.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Fall and mid summer are supposed to be the worst times for fleas.

Make sure after you vacuum you put the vacuum bag in a plastic garbage bag and take it outside ASAP.

Put rugs, pillows, anything not nailed down and small enough into the dryer on super hot heat.

You can also take Borax and work it into the carpet- I have no idea if Borax is harmful to animals- maybe someone else knows?? If it's not- you sprinkle it onto your carpet, work it into the pile with a broom and leave it a day or two and then vacuum it up. It will kill eggs, fleas, and the larva- which is sometimes the hardest of the three to kill.

And my friend swears that this natural flea dip is the only thing that works on her pets--

Natural flea and tick dip:

2 cups, packed, of fresh peppermint
1 quart boiling water
4 quarts warm water

Pour the just boiled water over the fresh herbs and let steep, covered, for 30 minutes. Strain and add the liquid to the 4 quarts of warm water and then saturate the animal. Let it air dry.

Peppermint does work. I use a pepermint/water mix when hiking in high tick areas- I had a tick fall on me from a tree- and it jumped off me to get away from the mint!

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I would read the label on the borax pack before putting it down as I have an idea it is harmful if swallowed and you know what our dear little pets are like with something different, they tend to either sniff and leave or taste it. My thoughts would be to get the houses professionally fumigated with pet friendly sprays, there are some out there, just make sure your pets are kept away till all is dried out if possible. We have our house sprayed twice a year and have never had a problem so far with fleas or any other insects and nothing has ever effected Scooby.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
The drops I think take three days to start working. Once you put the drops on them you should not bath them for three days. I have been using revolution. The fist application my not work. It will kill the living fleas but may miss a pupa I think they call it. They guarantee once after the second application is applied. This happened to me and I totally freaked out. They were all ovary Chelsey. I call my vet right away.
Also you need to wash all the puppies toys bedding and your if they sleep with you... also you need to wash you floors vacuum the carpet. You can also pick a can of flee spray that you can use on your floors/ furniture once you have cleaned it will kill any living in your home and will not harm you pets. Then you need to treat the puppies once a month with the revolution. I have also heard Downey is really good to use on the puppy when giving them a bath. I have gotten my self some and use it on Chelsey and Chester.. I'm not sure if it is working as I still use the revolution as well. But at least the puppies smell great. Oh yep, make sure your bother does the same.
Please remove the flea collars from your pets and put them in the vacuum cleaner or garbage. My vet told me they are very harmful to cats and small dog and can end up killing them.
I hate fleas, infact I hate bugs. especially in my home and on my puppies

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
When you say "drops", what do you mean? You should only use Frontline or Advantage, never over the counter products from pet stores or grocery stores. They can be very dangerous, especially for cats.

And you shouldn't use a collar along with a topical. Again, it could be dangerous. Collars don't work anyway, as you have found out.

Bathing will only kill the fleas on the pet. New ones can jump on immediately afterwards.

Even a quick visit from a flea infested animal can cause an infestation in your home.

Since you also have cats, I'd get a bottle of Frontline spray, then use Adams or Zodiac carpet powder (not the spray).

Fleas have nothing to do with how clean your home is. It's a matter of using flea preventatives and being careful about who you let in your home! Your boyfriend should use a preventative on his pets, too, so they don't pick fleas up from other animals and spread them to you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The drops - I think he got Hartz drops. Teddy has never used them, and Kiki always used Frontline as he was having her treated as a preventative around spring. He bought these at the store bc he ran out of stuff for her.
I have not used flea drops on either of the cats. Only the bath, and they were so ungrateful to me for doing it. Stupid collars - what's the deal with those? I mean I bathed the cat on Saturday, put the collar on her Sunday and found flea eggs on her last night. I give up!

My question is - what is the purpose of the medicated drops you put on their skin? Does it just kill what's on the dog/cat? Does it kill eggs and does it detuer fleas from jumping on your animials, or is it specifically designed to kill what is already there? Bc like I was saying - I felt so bad treating them, only to find more a few days later. I feel disappointed.

Kiki is staying at our house (where everyone already has fleas) and Jimmy is fumigating his house tomorrow. Once he is done with that, on Saturday we will bathe Kiki, Teddy, Rainy and Sonny, and then crate them over to his house to fumigate my house.
I'm going to pick up spray and stuff for the carpet today after work!

My daugther caught lice once. I think this is 10x worse than that!!!!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
What about your outside areas? Do your dogs go out at all? Could there be fleas in your yard now? Cause those white dogs are flea magnets and you'll just start the infestation all over again inside.

If so, use Beneficial Nematodes to spray your yard and garden. You buy them at garden stores, refrigerated and in a sponge. You soak the sponge in a gallon of water, then gently squeeze it several times to get all the nematodes into solution. You pour the solution into a hose end sprayer set to 1 oz per gallon and spray your yard and garden then over lightly with plain water to wash them off the grass so they will get into the soil and do their voracious thing and eat the flea larvae.

They will also eat other pest larvae and will live as long as this type of food is available to them. As the adult fleas die their natural death, the larvae will not be there to propogate the population and you've wiped them out naturally, without dangerous pesticides. This will cost about $10 to $20, depending upon the size of your outside area.

I had to spray twice this year, early spring and early summer but have not had to use Advantage on Pico since the last spraying. And I live in San Antonio, Texas where fleas are a real problem in our hot, humid climate.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
My particular fleas were immune to Frontline topical treatment, and I had to switch to Advantage. It did the trick for us.
I also rinse him in liquid downy (diluted) when I bathe him. That seems to do wonders also.

When you vaccum, change out your bag...and/or put a flea collar in the bag.
I had to have my house sprayed by the exterminator one time b/c we got them so badly. This was before we had Brinkley, we brought in little tiny sand fleas from somewhere. They were so awful!

I have also heard that the Hartz drops like from Walmart aren't that great...and can actually be harmful. Think I read that on here.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Oct 4 2005, 12:34 PM
I have also heard that the Hartz drops like from Walmart aren't that great...and can actually be harmful. Think I read that on here.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=106036
[/QUOTE]
Yeah I think it was the cat drops. They were supposed to pull them from the shelves but I noticed Target still sells them.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Do not use the over the counter products for flea control...they don't work and are harmful to both you and your pets. I suggest calling the vet to see which product is best to use. There is a pill that the animals can take that kills all fleas, larva, and egg, but I don't know what it is called...I'm sure your vet knows.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Oct 4 2005, 02:08 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn
@Oct 4 2005, 12:34 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=106036
Yeah I think it was the cat drops. They were supposed to pull them from the shelves but I noticed Target still sells them.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=106062
[/B][/QUOTE]

My vet told me the ones for dogs were harmful too.

EDIT: When I replied, Lady's Mom's post didn't show up....

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I live north of Chicago and we haven't had a flea problem (knock on wood). Both dogs are on Sentinel so that may have something to do with it.

Here are a few suggestions:
*Wash all the bedding, pillows, etc. in your house.
*Vacuum EVERYTHING possible including items like your mattress, sofa cushions, etc. Basically if you can't wash it, vacuum it.
*Don't put flea collars on the dogs, they have proven to be ineffective and dangerous. Instead put them in the vacuum canister. When done vacuuming, thoroughly wash the canister and put the continents into a Ziplock bag and right into the garbage outside. I would even leave the vacuum cleaner outside for a day or so.
*I've heard that Downey can rid dogs of fleas...that may help.
*Finally, you may have to repeat these steps for several days to ensure you are getting everything.

Finally, not to sound like a witch or anything, but that is one of my main reasons I do not take Toby to dog parks, etc. You just never know whose dog has what.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
DO NOT USE HARTZ OTC FLEA TREATMENTS!!! I decided to give it a try since it was cheaper and more convenient to obtain. Poor little Frosty, got terribly sick from it. She had diarhea, was lethargic, was vomitting, just pitiful! I had already washed her off, since it was only applied the day before, I thought this might help her a little, and took her to the vet. Most definitely it was the Hartz OTC. My vet actually gave me a copy of a story about Hartz phasing out the product, and it was to be completely stopped by 2006 maybe. They know there is a problem, and not a small one at that. My vet said you would be amazed at how many got sick from these treatments. Just so you know as well, we had used it once before with no problems, but like with allergies, you have to be exposed once and then the next exposure the alleric reaction occurs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts