Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

This is one of the strangest stories I think I've ever come across, I am completely clueless as to what to do???

Ok, to set the scene, we have a 19 year old girl working for us we have another 19 year old friend that I (Casey) know from across the street, really responsibile guy who works at the Office Depot, I'm in there almost daily so over the last few months we became friends, and he hangs out from time to time to play video games or whatever.

Well we had been considering hiring this guy actually for another position, after we were pretty sure we were going to hire him, he comes in the store and meets this girl, they have some idle chit chat, and he wanted to take her out. My wife (Cyndi) and I felt like doing something, we thought it was harmless, so the 4 of us went to a movie/dinner place to see a film.

These two kids stay up till 6am talking. They decided that day..... to get married..... I know right??????

OK, my wife and I have pleaded with them till we are blue in the face that they should wait and it's a bad idea, they are absolutely committed and we can't change thier mind. I told them we wish them luck and just please do not have kids right away.

Here's the tricky part... They have decided that they want to get married....

in our store.

????????

So, our store sells little clothing for dogs and stuff, and they think it would be cute cuz they met there, to have the wedding there, also they could dress all the little ones up in Tuxes and Dresses for the event.

I'm completely at a loss here... I suppose it could be an interesting publicity thing if handled correctly, if they didn't mind, and I think they would actually like it.

We are supposed to think about it and try to give them an answer today.

Anyway, I'm looking for advice on one hand, and also just to share this story... I think it's funny and basically I'm at a total loss of thought on this one???

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Not sure I read that right. They went out on their first date, stayed up talking all night and decided to get married?!
That's nuts!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts

When's the wedding? How many invites? Where's the reception?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
If these were sane people who had dated a while, then it would indeed be positive PR for you to have the wedding in your store. Even if they were 25 and just met... maybe.....

But with them being so young, I'm afraid it would be negative publicity for you. And in a way, I wouldn't want to play any part in their crazy antics.... The chances of this "marriage" lasting after the lust wears off is slim to nill....

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I agree that the PR would be bad for you. But I will say that if you don't let them get married in your store they will resent you for it and just find some place else to get married and you might lose a friend and a worker over it. With that said I would talk with their parents and see if they are opposed to all this. If they aren't then get them involved with planning the wedding at your store but don't let it leak to the papers. No PR is good PR when it comes to this. I would rather have no PR than bad PR.
If the parents are opposed to the idea try to explain to the kids that you don't want them to get married in your store because of their parents. Then they won't take it out and you because they will understand.

We had a young couple in our church (guy was 20 or so girl just turned 18) and they wanted to get married after just a little while of dating (we didn't even know they were dating!) and everyone was opposed to it including the guy's parents (she was an orphan but the people she was living with were also opposed to this). All these people were from our church so the kids wanted to get married in the church. Our pastor wouldn't do the wedding so they planned for the wedding at a hall. They got everything done in a week and were married. Not many people showed up and to be honest I think my husband and I were the only people there that weren't the groom's family. We went because the groom was friends with my husband and we knew we couldn't talk them out of getting married and we didn't want them hating us. They were happy that we showed up but we have lost touch with them since the groom's side of the family left the church from lack of support. The couple moved in with the groom's parents and I have no clue where they are today (this was almost two years ago).

My point is that these kids are going to get married even if everyone tries to talk them out of it. Since you already tried to talk them out of it the only thing left to do is support them. It's hard but it's better than them running off and doing this without friends and family behind them.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
oh wow... I would tell them that they can have it in your store - in ONE YEAR.

Once things calm down you can start helping them make more sense of things hopefully. Dont start planning for at least 6 months. The fuss of planning a wedding might be enough to hold this together on excitement alone. 6 months isnt a long time but its better than a day.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Oh, GOOD GRIEF!!! As a mother to girls who are 20 and 22, this just sends chills up my spine. Somebody needs to knock their heads together! If I were you, I'd try to gracefully stay the heck out of this scheme...

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Run....don't walk away from this proposal. You can use the excuse that your insurance won't allow for non-business functions to be held at your store. I can only imagine what their parents must think.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I personally know of five very young couples, who have done/are doing this.

No accidental pregnancies or anything... they just decided they wanted to spend the rest of their lives with eachother.

Two are already married
The girl got married to get away from her family. She's 18, he was 26. Dating time: 6 months. Don't know how they're doing... haven't heard from them in a long time.

The other couple dated in high school and enjoyed the "relations" so much. Girl 18, guy 20. She lives with him on an air force base in LA. Dating time: 1 year.

One is secretly legally married (but her parents know) and her official ceremony is in two weeks (she is 19, he is 23)
A very close friend of mine actually met a guy at prom, and they got legally married at a courthouse the next day. I think she was doing it for fun or shock value... but then it turns out she is "really in love" with him. Now, she lives with him (well, in his apartment... he's away serving in the military), and her wedding is coming up in two weeks.

One got engaged to be married over Christmas (both are 19)
One is getting engaged to be married this June (both are 19)

These two couples are basically doing it out of fear. (But they won't admit it...) They are comfortable and happy with each other, but afraid to go out and date around to see if there is anyone better. Because if there isn't, then they lost the love of their life. Dating time: 3-4 years per couple (high school sweethearts).

I can't help but feel that maybe.. these kids have chosen marriage for the wrong reasons. But, Fanny May hit it on the head:

Originally posted by FannyMay@Apr 12 2005, 09:53 AM
My point is that these kids are going to get married even if everyone tries to talk them out of it.  Since you already tried to talk them out of it the only thing left to do is support them.  It's hard but it's better than them running off and doing this without friends and family behind them.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51792
[/QUOTE]

If they are determined to do it, they'll find a way.

·
Registered
608 Posts
And you never know it may work. A friend of mine's parents were married at 14 and 15 and are still together and happy 35 years later. I guess some people just know.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by dhodina@Apr 12 2005, 01:37 PM
And you never know it may work.  A friend of mine's parents were married at 14 and 15 and are still together and happy 35 years later.  I guess some people just know.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51858
[/QUOTE]

I know a couple in the same situation you mention above... However, the big difference is that they knew each other longer than one day before getting married.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the advice. They have decided to go to a little chapel instead.

For the record we were completely against this, even though we think they are a good couple for each other, we just saw no reason why they couldn't wait.

Their parents do know about it.

Anyway,

We despite our concerns for them both, we are wishing them well with their decision.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Originally posted by GlamourDog@Apr 12 2005, 03:09 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the advice.  They have decided to go to a little chapel instead.

For the record we were completely against this, even though we think they are a good couple for each other, we just saw no reason why they couldn't wait.

Their parents do know about it. 

Anyway,

We despite our concerns for them both, we are wishing them well with their decision.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51919
[/QUOTE]

PHEW, and good for you for your well wishes!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
That's good that you guys dont have to be that involved in it!!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Originally posted by MomtwoMaltmuffins+Apr 12 2005, 12:58 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-FannyMay
@Apr 12 2005, 09:53 AM
(she was an orphan
SO what is wrong with being an orphan

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51835
[/B][/QUOTE]

I didn't say there was anything wrong with being an orphan, I was saying that his parents were against it but she really didn't have parents to be against it. The people she was living with were trying to adopt her (and her best friend) but she decided to get married and move out of their house instead.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Apr 12 2005, 09:39 AM
If these were sane people who had dated a while, then it would indeed be positive PR for you to have the wedding in your store. Even if they were 25 and just met... maybe.....

But with them being so young, I'm afraid it would be negative publicity for you. And in a way, I wouldn't want to play any part in their crazy antics.... The chances of this "marriage" lasting after the lust wears off is slim to nill....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51784
[/QUOTE]

I agree
I'm not sure it'd be the ideal publicity for you.... not when they are so young, only just met etc....

·
Registered
493 Posts
Originally posted by Sunshine+Apr 12 2005, 05:03 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Apr 12 2005, 09:39 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51784
I agree
I'm not sure it'd be the ideal publicity for you.... not when they are so young, only just met etc....

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51994
[/B][/QUOTE]

Heh... I'm way behind in this conversation!
Sorry for the late reply.... -_-

·
Registered
514 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Apr 12 2005, 08:39 AM
Oh, GOOD GRIEF!!!  As a mother to girls who are 20 and 22, this just sends chills up my spine.  Somebody needs to knock their heads together!  If I were you, I'd try to gracefully stay the heck out of this scheme...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51822
[/QUOTE]
Heh, my mom had me when she was 21...that's BAD!:brownbag: Well I don't care she would have to be 21 or else I wouldn't be here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts