Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that different breeders have looks that has evolved in the past few years since I was just brand new on this site. So I was wondering, if money was not a barrier, whose "look" do you most prefer?

·
Registered
597 Posts
My tastes have evolved faster than the looks!
When I started searching for a malt, I wanted the classic baby doll face, and so bought my Rocco from Bonnie.
Now, the more I have seen pictures and read about so many different dogs here on the forum, I don't have a favorite.
I love the rescues with uneven pigment that have big grins at finally being in a loving home. I love the oldsters that have so much more love to give and have gentleness shining behind their eyes. Any puppy, tiny, on the large size, odd ears, light eyes, cotton hair, I don't care. They are all beautiful. Give me a dog with the classic malt sweetness, that's all I look for now!

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i agree with bonsmom , i love them all , but im partial to teeny lil playful pups ... aww if i could i would have a house full of fluffs.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I go for personality first, looks, second. I personally prefer the classic Maltese head and muzzle and about 4-6 pounds in weight/size. I really like the looks of both my dogs, but more importantly, I like their personalities.

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Have to agree here with a healthy dog first and foremost! But having said that, I prefer the more classic Maltese look. Not too tiny and not too big. Nice head and muzzle of modest length. I am not so keen on the extreme "babydoll" features.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
First would be the health of the dog, second would be personality and then third would be the look. I know in looks i still prefer the shorter muzzle with the wide set eyes, but not so wide set that the eyes look to be on the side of the face and would like the pup to be on the smaller side of the standard.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I like the look of love best ... and I think all Maltese have that look. :smootch:

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Health is a given and always comes first. I prefer a shorter muzzle but that's just meeee.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
I love the baby doll faces....but I want it all....personality and beauty..

But what I've found with Ava...beauty comes with a price. Since I got her at 6 months old...everyone has automatically reached for her and she has become very shy. Probably my fault, but I thought I was socializing her....darn....darn....darn...!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I think it's a given that we all want good health and good temperament. I think the OP's question was just to get opinions on the look we like best. It doesn't relate at all to health and temperament or love .. just some fun sharing what is our ideal look.

I like a wide, cobby look .. sort of chunky (but not fat) .. short-ish nose .. not snippy. For my own Malt I like 'em larger .. at least 6 pounds.

·
Premium Member
17,468 Posts
I think it's a given that we all want good health and good temperament. I think the OP's question was just to get opinions on the look we like best. It doesn't relate at all to health and temperament or love .. just some fun sharing what is our ideal look.

I like a wide, cobby look .. sort of chunky (but not fat) .. short-ish nose .. not snippy. For my own Malt I like 'em larger .. at least 6 pounds.
Kitzel says: Aunt Sher, was that you calling me?

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
I like a more classic head also and I love big eyes and dark pigment. I am not a fan of snippy either but overall balance is more important than muzzle length.

I like them bigger also - at least 5.5 lbs.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Every time I think I love a look, I see another and fall in love with that look! ;)
I think all of our babies are gorgeous.
I do love the baby doll look, it was new to me before SM.
And my secret fav would be a perfect, inverted triangle of symmetry of the eyes and nose.
But I love them all!
It is more the look behind the eyes, that "gets me"! :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
I hate the way all the Kennel Clubs (especially the one in the UK) care so much for the looks of the dog, they don't care how much it effects a breeds health. The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel breed has so many neurological problems because it's skull is so small it can not hold it's brain. There are breeders in the UK who put Rhodesian Ridgeback PUPPIES to sleep because they don't have the ridge, meanwhile the Ridge is a mild form of Spinal Difida, so in retrospect, they are putting health puppies to sleep. Let's not forget about the "show" version German Shepherd who's spine is so deformed it cannot even walk properly.

This is not to say all breeders are like this of course I am sure many are not and many just care about health, but to participate in dog shows, the dogs must live up to standards and that's what makes these breeding careers. It is not only the UK kennel club that has these problems either.

But personally I have problems with breeders who pick looks that are hurting their dogs, and in turn hurting many owners in the end, over a healthy happy dog who lives a long life. That sickens me the most.

Personally, I like any look for the maltese, but I am fond of the flatter-faced ones. They're so cute. OH and I love puppy-cuts.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts