Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have always been interested in what holidays other people celebrate and how they celebrate. I thought it would be fun to have a post where we can all share what holiday we celebrate (if any at all) and how we celebrate.

Christmas Eve I phone my Grandma in Florida and I am able to talk to her about the gift I sent to her (I always send it early so she gets it before our call) and we talk about what each of us has planned.

Then, I call my Dad. We aways end up talking about Christmas pasts and how much his mom loved them (she passed with I was 15) so it is always a nice call.

After, its Chinese food time and laughs with my mom's family (and sometimes DH's family joins in which I love, but it depends on where my family is celebrating). After Chinese we drive around to look at Christmas lights and then its home to put the younger two in bed and start filling up the room with gifts and stuffing the stockings. I have really enjoyed helping to play Santa the last few years - more than I thought so its something new I look forward to.:wub:

As we have all gotten older and gotten married Christmas Day is not what it used to be as there are many more places to visit and more families requiring our attention and so Christmas Eve has been the night that all my siblings get together with my mom and it has become my favorite part of the holiday season.

Last year we all made a plan to get togther at the same time with my dad, which we hadn't done since I was about 22 and it was wonderful but because of where he lives and his travel schedule (and the fact that they need to spend time with my stepmom's family too) we can't always do that but if we could, that would also be a favorite holiday time for me. However, only being able to do it every few years makes it extra special in my eyes.

so.....how do you celebrate your holiday season?

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Your holiday traditions are so special Erin. I loved that you shared them with us.

Holidays are, hmm....how can I put this eloquently? Challenging, changing...if this was in the SM Contributors forum I could really share how I feel about them.

I come from a small family. DH comes from a large family. DH always get stuck working Christmas. He never takes off b/c we don't have kids so he feels it's best to let the guys off who have little ones at home. I have wanted to start a tradition of having our family to our home for an early Christmas dinner (if Dh is on midnights) or a late dinner (if is working daytime shift) but his family still prefers to have all their extended family together at every holiday. So this year I will be celebrating Christmas Day w/B&E and will have a late dinner for me and DH and hopefully my parents will come over being it's just the 2 of them. Dh will try to stop home in the mornings during his shift so we can open presents together but it's just very hard with his schedule. It's hard to make new traditions b/c of his work.

Also, I lost my father during Christmas time (12/22 will be 8 years) so Christmas has always been bittersweet for me. I have been waiting to make new traditions and give Christmas a "facelift" but it's been really hard to put that in place. It's changes from year to year. Hopefully one day that will be different and I will have Dh home to help us establish our "own" Christmas traditions and things we look forward to doing together year after year. Not to say we don't enjoy the holidays together...we just take it year by year and plan accordingly.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Mom is in the nursing home,so the nursing home has a T-day dinner a week before,then we do a cook out and grill if the weather isn't too bad,invite our folks over on T-day. We can't bring mom over this year,her Alzheimers is too bad,so we bring T-day leftovers or something cooked special and eat with her. So she gets two T-day dinners that way.

Xmas is kinda the same,only Al's folks are in AZ at that time,so it's just Al,me and dad and the fluffs of course.
Dad doesn't drive at night so it's holiday dinners at noon so he can be home before dark and we do a little knoshing at supper time and chill w/ the puppies...

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
Since both my Parents are gone, Christmas just isn't the same. Yes, it's all about the little ones, whom I'm so grateful for. Still, I miss my Parents. My Mom would have to diligently hide my presents because I was known as a little sneak. LOL The waiting for Christmas Eve was horrible. Still, I have happy memories, which I will always cherish. Christmas Eve I was able to open 2 gifts. One was always a pair of new flannel pajamas or nightgown. Matching socks, of course. So I'd wear it that night.

I remember the Christmas Santa gave me a carpet sweeper!!!Running around the house cleaning the rugs. To this day I'm in love with vacuum cleaners. LOL
Another year, I got my own beautiful bedroom. No more sharing with my brothers. And, my very own television. That was probably the best Christmas ever.

When we were young we'd go caroling and give the money to Our Lady of Angels. When we got older, we'd buy liquor with the money, instead.

As I got older, my Father would give me a special present, just from him. God, I miss that.

Christmas Day was at Nana's with our Aunts, Uncles and Cousins. Every year my Nana would buy me 2 beautiful winter coats. One dressy and one for every day. It broke my heart to tell her it wasn't necessary anymore. I was working and didn't want her to spend the money anymore. My Nana worked at A&S's for years. Speaking of which, we used to go there and get our picture taken with Santa for I don't know how many years. Santa always looked like he was either drunk, stoned, or, a child molester. LOL

I remember getting a pair of teeny tiny diamond stud earrings from my boyfriend of many years. I was the happiest girl in the world. I was so excited I dropped a plate of deviled eggs at his house full of relatives and was hysterically crying because I was embarrassed.

Nowadays, we celebrate Hanukkah and Christmas. One time I bought Steve a stocking full of coal,{it was licorice}. He didn't get the joke. LOL

Really, no traditions here, Erin. Thank you, though. I feel good about thinking back and writing this. I look forward to everyone's responses.
xoxoxoxoxooxoxoxox

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
This will be a different year for us because we now have DGD's adoptive family in the mix. I think DH, DD, and I will meet his family at grandparents house for our exchange on Christmas day and host DGD and family at our house when it works for them. DGD is their first child/grandchild so I know they have alot of festivities planned already and I don't want to add to the stress for new mom and dad. For me it's not the day, it's the event.

I love decorating the tree. When my son was little he was my main helper. I miss him because he lives so far away. I think of all our happy memories from way back then when I do it with my DD now.

When I was little we made and decorated cookies and marzipan. We had horses when I was growing up so we would spend Christmas day at the stables after opening presents. I loved mixing up a special hot bran mash to treat them with and would spend hours braiding ribbons in their manes. I almost always got a new brush or something for them so of course I would have to put it to use right away!

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your holiday traditions are so special Erin. I loved that you shared them with us.

Holidays are, hmm....how can I put this eloquently? Challenging, changing...if this was in the SM Contributors forum I could really share how I feel about them.

I come from a small family. DH comes from a large family. DH always get stuck working Christmas. He never takes off b/c we don't have kids so he feels it's best to let the guys off who have little ones at home. I have wanted to start a tradition of having our family to our home for an early Christmas dinner (if Dh is on midnights) or a late dinner (if is working daytime shift) but his family still prefers to have all their extended family together at every holiday. So this year I will be celebrating Christmas Day w/B&E and will have a late dinner for me and DH and hopefully my parents will come over being it's just the 2 of them. Dh will try to stop home in the mornings during his shift so we can open presents together but it's just very hard with his schedule. It's hard to make new traditions b/c of his work.

Also, I lost my father during Christmas time (12/22 will be 8 years) so Christmas has always been bittersweet for me. I have been waiting to make new traditions and give Christmas a "facelift" but it's been really hard to put that in place. It's changes from year to year. Hopefully one day that will be different and I will have Dh home to help us establish our "own" Christmas traditions and things we look forward to doing together year after year. Not to say we don't enjoy the holidays together...we just take it year by year and plan accordingly.
I think everyone our age goes throught this as we are so used to doing things with the family and they are not always ready for us to start our own traditions. Notice I don't have any time in my own house on Xmas Eve or Christmas.....nope and I haven't for the 5 years I have lived here. Like you, I look forward to the day when I finally put my foot down and DH and I start making our own traditions in our home. Of course, your husband's job makes it a little harder but I respect that he works so those with small children can be home with them Christmas morning. That is so generous and truly reminds me of what Christmas Spirit and Giving is really about.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mom is in the nursing home,so the nursing home has a T-day dinner a week before,then we do a cook out and grill if the weather isn't too bad,invite our folks over on T-day. We can't bring mom over this year,her Alzheimers is too bad,so we bring T-day leftovers or something cooked special and eat with her. So she gets two T-day dinners that way.

Xmas is kinda the same,only Al's folks are in AZ at that time,so it's just Al,me and dad and the fluffs of course.
Dad doesn't drive at night so it's holiday dinners at noon so he can be home before dark and we do a little knoshing at supper time and chill w/ the puppies...
This all sounds so nice!!! I love that her home does something special for the holiday even if its not on the actual holiday as I know many that do not. I think my favorite part is picturing you and your hubby alone on Christmas night with a little drink and your fluffs - I can almost see the fire and hear the chestnuts roasting:blush:

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since both my Parents are gone, Christmas just isn't the same. Yes, it's all about the little ones, whom I'm so grateful for. Still, I miss my Parents. My Mom would have to diligently hide my presents because I was known as a little sneak. LOL The waiting for Christmas Eve was horrible. Still, I have happy memories, which I will always cherish. Christmas Eve I was able to open 2 gifts. One was always a pair of new flannel pajamas or nightgown. Matching socks, of course. So I'd wear it that night.

I remember the Christmas Santa gave me a carpet sweeper!!!Running around the house cleaning the rugs. To this day I'm in love with vacuum cleaners. LOL
Another year, I got my own beautiful bedroom. No more sharing with my brothers. And, my very own television. That was probably the best Christmas ever.

When we were young we'd go caroling and give the money to Our Lady of Angels. When we got older, we'd buy liquor with the money, instead.

As I got older, my Father would give me a special present, just from him. God, I miss that.

Christmas Day was at Nana's with our Aunts, Uncles and Cousins. Every year my Nana would buy me 2 beautiful winter coats. One dressy and one for every day. It broke my heart to tell her it wasn't necessary anymore. I was working and didn't want her to spend the money anymore. My Nana worked at A&S's for years. Speaking of which, we used to go there and get our picture taken with Santa for I don't know how many years. Santa always looked like he was either drunk, stoned, or, a child molester. LOL

I remember getting a pair of teeny tiny diamond stud earrings from my boyfriend of many years. I was the happiest girl in the world. I was so excited I dropped a plate of deviled eggs at his house full of relatives and was hysterically crying because I was embarrassed.

Nowadays, we celebrate Hanukkah and Christmas. One time I bought Steve a stocking full of coal,{it was licorice}. He didn't get the joke. LOL

Really, no traditions here, Erin. Thank you, though. I feel good about thinking back and writing this. I look forward to everyone's responses.
xoxoxoxoxooxoxoxox
Sometimes remembering is the best tradition of all! I think that's why Christmas Eve has become a favorite of mine because I love to remember my grandmother and Christmas was her favorite time of year. :heart: If I promise to buy you a swiffer will you come clean my floors this Christmas?!?!?:HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This will be a different year for us because we now have DGD's adoptive family in the mix. I think DH, DD, and I will meet his family at grandparents house for our exchange on Christmas day and host DGD and family at our house when it works for them. DGD is their first child/grandchild so I know they have alot of festivities planned already and I don't want to add to the stress for new mom and dad. For me it's not the day, it's the event.

I love decorating the tree. When my son was little he was my main helper. I miss him because he lives so far away. I think of all our happy memories from way back then when I do it with my DD now.

When I was little we made and decorated cookies and marzipan. We had horses when I was growing up so we would spend Christmas day at the stables after opening presents. I loved mixing up a special hot bran mash to treat them with and would spend hours braiding ribbons in their manes. I almost always got a new brush or something for them so of course I would have to put it to use right away!
I can't wait to hear how the two families blend this Christmas! I do hope its a happy time for everyone :). Christmas as a child sounds like it was amazing - I can't imagine what it was like to have horses and be able to spend Christmas morning in the barn treating them to a special meal and beauty session! They must have looked and felt like amazing Christmas horses when you were through!

·
Premium Member
24,174 Posts

Tammy I remember all the years we would celebrate Christmas days before just so dh could be apart of it. I don't think most people realize how much a police officers family gives up on holidays. When my dh finally made detective things changed and we had our Christmas's like others. Hugs to you, I remember those days:blush:

·
Premium Member
24,174 Posts
Christmas was always my most favorite time of the year, this was our tradition.
Christmas eve, my kids and I would make a birthday cake for Jesus, we would sing happy birthday to him and the kids would write a letter to Jesus, I never knew what they wrote, they would put it in a envelope with a stamp, addressed to "Jesus in Heaven".(I often wondered if the postal workers opened them and what they thought)

Christmas Eve was our family night the night the gifts were opened. I sat next to the tree, hubby sat on the sofa, kids sat in a circle around the tree, hubby read a poem we have it's called "The night before Jesus came", it always set the mood, we wanted our kids to know Christmas was not about the gifts but about the birth of Christ. After the reading I would pass out the gifts, we took our time and watched each other open one gift at a time, the kids would always be so grateful and excited, I loved it.

Christmas Day was with our families, when the kids were little we would go to my parents and then hubby's parents, but after the kids turned about 8 or so I would do the dinners at our house. I liked it much better and it gave our kids time to play with their gifts.

Here's a wonderful memory I have
We fostered kids with health problems from 3rd world countries, we did this for a few years, anyways, Christmas was always so special for these kids, we didn't have much money and could only get two gifts for each of the kids, my kids learned to be grateful from my foster kids, you should have seen the look on those kids faces when I gave them a gift, they cherished them.

Three years ago I had Christmas at my house with all my kids and grandkids, we did the Jesus Birthday cake and the grandkids made letters and sent them off, all my kids together around the Christmas tree with there families made my heary burst with joy and love. There's something very special about looking at your kids and their kids and knowing God blessed you with such a wonderful gift.

Since we have been wintering in AZ we don't go home:smcry:for Christmas, my kids no longer celebrate it all together:smcry: I don't decorate here, we send the gifts to the kids and grandkids, I hate it, every year I cry and wish I were home, just for Christmas, dh doesn't feel the same way, he likes the no hassle Christmas, so that's exactly what it is down here, no tree, no decorations, we do give each other a gift and go out to dinner. I miss my family sooooooo much, I would give my right arm to be with my kids on Christmas.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Christmas was a big deal for my Mother. She would start baking cookies weeks prior to give out. We were not aloud to have any until Christmas Eve.:angry: She would put them in cookie tins in her bedroom. I would always sneek in and take some from the bottom of the tin so she would'nt
know:innocent: We always had a big meal Christmas Eve and could open one present. Usually it was a new pair of jammies. To this day I love getting jammies for Christmas. Even though we didn't go often I do remember just me and my father going to Christmas Mass together.:wub:
Christmas day was all the presents followed by a big breakfast then
an early dinner. Even though the family moved a part for the most part we have all kept the traditions. Since me and my DH only have furkids I try to make every holiday special. If I didn't I feel they would just be another day. When we were in the Navy at times we worked shift work and sometimes worked on holidays. I always made sure we celebrated another day. Ever since we both been on a normal schedule which has been several years I make a special meal on Christmas Eve and we open one present. Christmas day we open presents, my DH cooks breakfast and we usually have friends over for a early Christmas dinner.

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
Sometimes remembering is the best tradition of all! I think that's why Christmas Eve has become a favorite of mine because I love to remember my grandmother and Christmas was her favorite time of year. :heart: If I promise to buy you a swiffer will you come clean my floors this Christmas?!?!?:HistericalSmiley:
Do you have a vacuum cleaner, too? LOL
xoxoxoxox

·
Premium Member
24,174 Posts

xoxoxoxoxooxoxoxox

Kerry, what a wonderful daddy you had, gosh it brought tears to my eyes thinking of him giving his beautiful precious daughter a gift just from daddy's heart.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
I think everyone our age goes throught this as we are so used to doing things with the family and they are not always ready for us to start our own traditions. Notice I don't have any time in my own house on Xmas Eve or Christmas.....nope and I haven't for the 5 years I have lived here. Like you, I look forward to the day when I finally put my foot down and DH and I start making our own traditions in our home. Of course, your husband's job makes it a little harder but I respect that he works so those with small children can be home with them Christmas morning. That is so generous and truly reminds me of what Christmas Spirit and Giving is really about.
Been trying to put my foot down but no one hears it! Wahhh!!! Ok enough crying on my part LOL! It's tough being the new women in our families!
Tammy I remember all the years we would celebrate Christmas days before just so dh could be apart of it. I don't think most people realize how much a police officers family gives up on holidays. When my dh finally made detective things changed and we had our Christmas's like others. Hugs to you, I remember those days:blush:
Oh Paula! I know you of all people understand! Families of law enforcement make huge sacrifces especially during the holidays. Come to think of it, we make huge sacrifices everytime our husbands leave for work. I know you must be so happy to have your DH home, retired and safe! I look up to you Paula! xoxo

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Christmas was always my most favorite time of the year, this was our tradition.
Christmas eve, my kids and I would make a birthday cake for Jesus, we would sing happy birthday to him and the kids would write a letter to Jesus, I never knew what they wrote, they would put it in a envelope with a stamp, addressed to "Jesus in Heaven".(I often wondered if the postal workers opened them and what they thought)
Wow, when I read this it brought back a memory of my oldest daughter when she was about 3. After we opened presents on Christmas eve with my ex-husband's family, she said she really liked the Happy Birthday Chicken. It took us a while to figure it out, but we finally realized she meant the Christmas turkey!

Thanks for reminding me of a happy memory of my oldest daughter! Our relationship is not very good now, but I do miss the days when she was less troubled.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts