Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,305 Posts
Joanne, where is it located? Does it look like a blister/cyst w/liquid inside?

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's on her side tummy by back leg. It was growing out like a cone but after the bath today, I was able to pick off the top, which was a hard white substance. Nothing squeezes out. It's been hard like a rock since the beginning.

·
Premium Member
17,305 Posts
It looks a lot like a tick bite, but this time of year?
Since she has been watching it for a few months it would be possible to be a tick bite, Walter. Let's remember too that logs for the FP & Christmas trees can bring them in & wake them up, but it may be too early for that. My DD got bit by one from logs for the FP.

·
Premium Member
17,305 Posts
Joanne, they can feed & drop off---so don't worry about legs.

·
Premium Member
17,305 Posts
I don't know anything about skin tags---never even seen one, but a tick bite may be more treatable than some other possibilities.

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Omgosh...I don't do well with bugs...does the hard lump mean there could be a tick underneath her skin? I've only seen them half embedded, not burrowed where I can't see anything. Nothing squeezes out, not even pus. I don't know what to think and I can't get her to the vet until Tuesday.

·
Premium Member
9,552 Posts
Don't freak out. She will be fine. It could be a lot of things, it just looks like a tick bite to me. I doubt there is a head in it. The ones I have seen have been black in the middle. Let us know what you vet says on Tuesday. Stay calm.

·
Super Moderator
10,132 Posts
It looks like something my Sam had. I don’t remember what the vet called it but it was nothing to be concerned about. She had one that was irritating her so they did remove it but didn’t even biopsy.

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't freak out. She will be fine. It could be a lot of things, it just looks like a tick bite to me. I doubt there is a head in it. The ones I have seen have been black in the middle. Let us know what you vet says on Tuesday. Stay calm.
Too late, Walter, my anxiety literally just shot through the roof!
I'm not sure if you can tell by the pix but the first row, middle pix. This looked like a hole last week and now it's growing out. I took off the very tip of it today because after her bath it soften up. Prior to her bath, it felt like a sharp point, it looked like a just like a cone and it was the color of her skin, except for the very tip was white.
It's so strange...I don't know what to think of it.

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It looks like something my Sam had. I don’t remember what the vet called it but it was nothing to be concerned about. She had one that was irritating her so they did remove it but didn’t even biopsy.
Was it a histiocytoma? Though Suki had one on her ear and this looks nothing like that. I'm not really concerned that it might be cancer, being she's too young and most growths are usually not cancerous. My concern is that it's some type of parasite.
i do hope your right and that it is nothing...thank you.

·
Premium Member
17,305 Posts
No, IF it were a tick it is probably long gone! Not to worry! If it has been there a couple of months you probably should see the vet, but it is probably something harmless so Tuesday should be fine. Does she bother w/it?

Do you think it could be a mast cell tumor?

·
Premium Member
17,305 Posts
Joanne, IF you do the tick panel make sure they do the ENTIRE one (there is also a quicker one). The entire panel is more expensive (between 300- 200$) but worth it. They only did the partial one when I had K's wellness exam (the tech wasn't listening to me) & now I don't know for sure about him. When I took L for testing recently I made sure they wrote it down! It also covers Leishmania disease (spread by sandfly or mosquito )which we had in Greece (& there is NO cure for that.)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts