Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you all know M-Th they are home alone for 7 hours. They had been increasingly getting out of control in our absense when we gave them reign of the house. This only started after we got YoYo. Anyway, now we are keeping them gated in the kitchen and I feel so relieved that I don't have to come home to any messes. If there's a pee/poo accident on the hard kitchen floor it's MUCH more managable than on my couches/blankets/carpets, etc.

"I" miss having them be able to wait in the livingroom window for us to get home. But, honestly, they seem a tad less stressed being in the kitchen. I think them looking out the window and barking at EVERY leaf that blew by all day couldn't have been great for them. They seem a lot more calm when we gate them and walk out the door. When we'd leave them in the window you'd hear them howling and crying on the top of their lungs when we walked away.

They each have a bed, kibble & water in the kitchen.

Anyway, just updating you on the latest--since my last post was kind of negative and I was so frustrated with them. Things are better now :thumbsup: And just a message to anyone feeling "guilty" for confining your pet when you're not home--it's better for EVERYONE in the long run!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Not only is it less stressful to you it is safer for them........no cords to chew on, no toilet paper to shred, its calm and tranquil. I am so glad its worked out for you.

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
Yes, I 100% agree!! I am so glad you have found a solution for your problem!! It would break my heart to hear them bellowing at the top of their lungs when you left the house in the morning..........Great news that you found a solution!!

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not only is it less stressful to you it is safer for them........no cords to chew on, no toilet paper to shred, its calm and tranquil. I am so glad its worked out for you.
Actually our first floor is childproof--I just always kept it that way since I had my skin kids. No cords exposed, no cabinets unlocked, etc. etc. They were very safe as far as that goes. The prob was poo/pee accidents which is primarily YoYo who does it out of anxiety. You can tell it's him because he's 35 lbs and his messes are MUCH bigger than Ollie's.

When we rescued YoYo he had severe anxiety issues from abuse/neglect. He's come a long way but was still prone to potty accidents. I'm not sure if that will ever stop. But at least now I don't have to worry about replacing expensive things like seat cushions and blankets and shampooing my carpets constantly!

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
This is such great news! I am sure Ollie and Yoyo are both even happier because of how happy you are! You didn't say - how is your daughteR?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
What a terrific and happy update! SO glad everything's calmer and better for the whole family now, especially your two little guys there. ;)

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Sounds like the kitchen solution is working out well. :aktion033:
Now if you could train them to start on making dinner...

·
Super Moderator
10,174 Posts
When my Sam was little I gave her free reign in a 1600 sq ft condo - all one level. It was Ok at first but then she started seeming really stressed when I would get home, almost like she was overwhelmed. So I started gating her in the kitchen and my wonderful happy little cuddle bug was back! I have done that ever since while I'm gone - I guess some of our little ones just feel safer when their world is smaller.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When my Sam was little I gave her free reign in a 1600 sq ft condo - all one level. It was Ok at first but then she started seeming really stressed when I would get home, almost like she was overwhelmed. So I started gating her in the kitchen and my wonderful happy little cuddle bug was back! I have done that ever since while I'm gone - I guess some of our little ones just feel safer when their world is smaller.
I noticed the same--they just seem more calm all around. maybe waiting in the window just constantly kept them in a state of "waiting" and unable to relax.

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
Looks like your solution is working.

Jodi stays in the kitchen too. He wouldn't tolerate the crate at all and was frantic. He eventually got used to the kitchen and still has a big area to play if he wants. Now when I leave for work he sometimes watches me leave (those dark sad eyes blinking at me and nose thru the babygate! but many other times I lock the door and see thru the glass that he's not even watching me leave, he's headed to his crate for a nap. Sometimes I've walked away and crept back to look in the door and he's not watching for me....he knows the routine.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Benny and Emma are gated in the kitchen Pam. They dont' mind it one bit. When I'm getting ready they run to their bed in the kitchen. I'm sure in time YoYo & Ollie will be doing the same. I agree it's safer too. I always think God forbid their was a fire, they would be hiding under the bed and be hard to find. Confining them to the kitchen makes them easy to locate & keeps them from getting into things in the house. Sounds like you have come up with a great solution Pam!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts