Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeager was on Orijen Puppy for the past 3 months, and I'm thinking the 40% protein is too much for him though. So I thought to switch him to another food since he's ready for an adult food, and he gets soft stool often. Plus, I heard that feeding a dog that stays at home during the day a high protein diet is like putting rocket fuel in a lawn mower(can anyone verify this??), and he is rather restless during the day even though I take him out on a 30 minute walk in the mornings.

I wanted to try Acana, but the store I went to didn't have any, so we ended up trying a lot of different samples but the only one he touched was the Ziwi Peak lamb. I ended up going home with a bag of Ziwi Peak. This one is 32% protein. Does anyone else here feed Ziwi Peak? It's a bit pricey for such a little bag, so I'm just experimenting here. Is it really worth the price?? And on the bag it says to feed only 0.5 of their little scoop cup for a 6 pounder, which is only 1 ounce of food. that seems really little to me. I don't want to starve the little guy either! So hard to strike a balance, especially when he's super picky about food.

I really liked Orijen because it got rid of his tear stains, and I might just go try Acana next.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are the moisture % in each food. You can't compare protein % without calculating it on dry matter for each food.
:blush: I didn't know about that. Moisture % for Orijen is 10, and Ziwi Peak is 15.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I've tried Ziwi Peak and my malt loved it too but it is way to high in FAT. The store owner told me it is one of the highest fat foods on the market.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yeager was on Orijen Puppy for the past 3 months, and I'm thinking the 40% protein is too much for him though. So I thought to switch him to another food since he's ready for an adult food, and he gets soft stool often. Plus, I heard that feeding a dog that stays at home during the day a high protein diet is like putting rocket fuel in a lawn mower(can anyone verify this??), and he is rather restless during the day even though I take him out on a 30 minute walk in the mornings.

I wanted to try Acana, but the store I went to didn't have any, so we ended up trying a lot of different samples but the only one he touched was the Ziwi Peak lamb. I ended up going home with a bag of Ziwi Peak. This one is 32% protein. Does anyone else here feed Ziwi Peak? It's a bit pricey for such a little bag, so I'm just experimenting here. Is it really worth the price?? And on the bag it says to feed only 0.5 of their little scoop cup for a 6 pounder, which is only 1 ounce of food. that seems really little to me. I don't want to starve the little guy either! So hard to strike a balance, especially when he's super picky about food.

I really liked Orijen because it got rid of his tear stains, and I might just go try Acana next.
I tried it. Mine loved it for a little while then turned up their nose. I am now trying VeRUS, have been on it for 2 days. So far so good.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
So let's make that dry matter base so it is comparable.

Ziwi Peak is 36.5%

Acana is 21%
The link I posted did use the dry matter base for both brands.

Ziwi Peak

The dashboard displays a dry matter protein reading of 40%, a fat level of 31% and an estimated carbohydrate content of 21%.

Acana

The dashboard reports a dry matter protein reading of 37%, a fat level of 19% and an estimated carbohydrate content of 36%.

Acana Grain Free

The dashboard reports a dry matter protein reading of 36%, a fat level of 20% and an estimated carbohydrate content of 36%.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts