Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeager was on Orijen Puppy for the past 3 months, and I'm thinking the 40% protein is too much for him though. So I thought to switch him to another food since he's ready for an adult food, and he gets soft stool often. Plus, I heard that feeding a dog that stays at home during the day a high protein diet is like putting rocket fuel in a lawn mower(can anyone verify this??), and he is rather restless during the day even though I take him out on a 30 minute walk in the mornings.

I wanted to try Acana, but the store I went to didn't have any, so we ended up trying a lot of different samples but the only one he touched was the Ziwi Peak lamb. I ended up going home with a bag of Ziwi Peak. This one is 32% protein. Does anyone else here feed Ziwi Peak? It's a bit pricey for such a little bag, so I'm just experimenting here. Is it really worth the price?? And on the bag it says to feed only 0.5 of their little scoop cup for a 6 pounder, which is only 1 ounce of food. that seems really little to me. I don't want to starve the little guy either! So hard to strike a balance, especially when he's super picky about food.

I really liked Orijen because it got rid of his tear stains, and I might just go try Acana next.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yeager was on Orijen Puppy for the past 3 months, and I'm thinking the 40% protein is too much for him though. So I thought to switch him to another food since he's ready for an adult food, and he gets soft stool often. Plus, I heard that feeding a dog that stays at home during the day a high protein diet is like putting rocket fuel in a lawn mower(can anyone verify this??), and he is rather restless during the day even though I take him out on a 30 minute walk in the mornings.

I wanted to try Acana, but the store I went to didn't have any, so we ended up trying a lot of different samples but the only one he touched was the Ziwi Peak lamb. I ended up going home with a bag of Ziwi Peak. This one is 32% protein. Does anyone else here feed Ziwi Peak? It's a bit pricey for such a little bag, so I'm just experimenting here. Is it really worth the price?? And on the bag it says to feed only 0.5 of their little scoop cup for a 6 pounder, which is only 1 ounce of food. that seems really little to me. I don't want to starve the little guy either! So hard to strike a balance, especially when he's super picky about food.

I really liked Orijen because it got rid of his tear stains, and I might just go try Acana next.
I tried it. Mine loved it for a little while then turned up their nose. I am now trying VeRUS, have been on it for 2 days. So far so good.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
So let's make that dry matter base so it is comparable.

Ziwi Peak is 36.5%

Acana is 21%
The link I posted did use the dry matter base for both brands.

Ziwi Peak

The dashboard displays a dry matter protein reading of 40%, a fat level of 31% and an estimated carbohydrate content of 21%.

Acana

The dashboard reports a dry matter protein reading of 37%, a fat level of 19% and an estimated carbohydrate content of 36%.

Acana Grain Free

The dashboard reports a dry matter protein reading of 36%, a fat level of 20% and an estimated carbohydrate content of 36%.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.